F/S/T SG-8, SG-9 of conscience

MNHopkins MNHopkins at AOL.COM
Thu Apr 30 03:06:52 EDT 1998

I have this set of Heath generators.  They are brownish, complete and
operational.  Thru a kindness on this reflector I even have a copy of the RF
generator condensed manual, altho not for the AF generator.

I use them because they are smallish -- much like a Benton Harbor Lunch box.
My relationship is completely functional and I can as well use a R.S.
generator someone just gave me, altho its late foreign (Japaneese) manufacture
would be anathma to many.

I thus offer the Heath SG-8 and SG-9 to a good collector home for whatever is
a reasonable sum.  I assume one who wants such a thing knows something of a
fair market value for such things (the guy I got them from did not: $5 each).

Without trying to be a price gouger, I value my time and effort at packaging
them and taking them to the PO (You don't want UPS from Dallas) such that I'd
like to set a minimum bid of $20 for the pair.  Besides, their bench utility
to me is at least that much.

Anyway, I monitor the reflector for 6M stuff and am always willing to trade up
or down to that plus, I love and seek receive converters of any make and in
any conditon, should someone prefer a trade (such a trade soured me on UPS,
see below sig for that story as I don't know how we feel about attached files
here.

73 de ab5L, michael in dallas, student of Tecraft and International (ICM) ham
products and mementoes of Six Meters' Golden Age: 1957-58
Michael Hopkins
Box 226841
Dallas, TX  75222    MNHopkins at AOL.com

The UPS story:

Temerity pays, but it sometime takes extra effort.  I signed in to the Swan
collectors net on CW ( no ssb here) and arranged a trade with an Oakie:  two
Swan 500s for two Heath HP-23 P/Ss.  Those last are $40 items here, the Swans
occasion guffaws.

I posted the Swans from Dallas' main PO and they reached Will Rogers land in 3
days intact.  Sending the same day, packing better and using UPS, my associate
was surprized to learn it took the P/Ss eight days to arrive -- Broken!

What does it take to break a HP-23?  Lots, and about an hour and a half to
repair.  They hit so hard, even with two inches of foam between them, that
both severed their power cords.  My dad was a sheet metal worker, and it is a
good thing as the average ham would not have been able to salvage the cases.
I inherited a box of body working tools.

I looked up UPS and the address was a vacant lot. I called and got the
impression it might be a private club. I asked other hams and was told that
Dallas is the center of  the UPS affiramtive action effort.  Anyway, I will
not shop from Dallas via UPS no matter what.  But for the high roller, Fed Ex
is great.

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH