SB-610 Power Transformers

Sandy W5TVW ebjr at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Wed Aug 12 19:27:56 EDT 1998

At 09:25 PM 8/12/98 +0100, you wrote:
>On Tue, 11 Aug 1998 18:00:12 -0500 "Gilmore,Mike" <mgilmore at WBEZ.ORG>
>writes:
>>Dear Green Group,
>>
>>Last week a co-worker gave me a SB-610 Station Monitor which he was
>>not
>>using because
>>the power transformer was blown.
>>
>>Yesterday, I read here on the Heath list that someone had a SB-610
>>Power
>>transformer for sale.
>>
>>Do I detect a pattern?  Was there a problem with the power
>>transformers
>>on this model?
>
>I believe the reason is that transformers in general often do not age
>well.  Insulation loses its insulating qualities over time.  This problem
>is only compounded by the high voltages found in tube type gear (i.e.
>many heathkits)
>

>Mark Moss, KC8DEI
>Kalamazoo, MI

        Mark and all the "Greenies":
        The HO-10 and SB-610 power transformers had an abnormally
high rate of failure.  True, the insulation does deteriorate with time,
but there was a problem with these to begin with!  I remember building
an HO-10 and had TWO transformers fail, one after a couple of hours use,
and the replacement failed after about 2 months of use.  The same
thing happened when I bought and built an HO-13 panadapter, although
just the original transformer failed.  This about a year after I built the
HO-10.
73,
Sandy W5TVW

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov