HeathKit Calculator

Marty marty-k2 at SNET.NET
Mon Aug 31 08:48:58 EDT 1998

Keith Rowland wrote:

> GM fellow nostalgia buffs:
>
> Couldn't help but add a few words about calculating aids of the past.  I
> remember that all of us engineering majors at Georgia Tech back in the
> late 40s and early 50s took great pride in going about everywhere with
> the biggest slide rules that we could afford hanging from our belts.
> Sort of like the Old West in the movies...the guy with the biggest, most
> awkward slide rule was top gun!

Especially if you had one of those 30" K&E's with the bulge in the case
for the  magnified cursor.

Reminds me of a conversation I overheard in a Radio Shack years
ago, when they were  promoting Micronta slide rules as the best thing to
come along since sliced bread.  The salesman was explaining the
operation of a slide rule to a prospective customer.  "All you have to
do is this", he explained.  "You slide this middle thing so the 1 is
over the 2 on the bottom scale, and then slide the window so the line is
over the 2 on the middle one, and see, right there on the bottom you've
got the answer.  2 times 2 equals 3.95".

Marty  K1FHR

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH