SB-230 (aka SB-614)

George Gleim george at QNQ.COM
Wed Dec 2 08:25:41 EST 1998

Hello Again Guys Of Green!

Well, first, let me thank you ALL (64 responces)  for correcting me.
Yes, I was indeed discussing the SB-230 but my mind was playing tricks
on me.  Actually, I had just been tinkering with my SB-614 and had the
614 on my mind when I wrote the email.  Shame on me...

The SB-230 is an interesting amp.  Seems that the 8873 tube is more
expensive than whan a replacement amp (with tubes) would cost.  Hummmm.
One uses the amp till the tubes goes and then discards the amp?  I do,
however, like the idea of a silent amp but am not excited with the toxic
heat sink.  I imagine that with care and common sense it is safe.
Otherwise, I would expect the Heath Company to buy back these amps and
properly dispose of the heat sink.  (I wonder if there is a placard on
the heatsink or the amp itself that tells you to contact Heath for
information regarding the toxicity of the heat sink and what NOT to do.
It may be in the manual but manuals do get lost.  Insert Law Suit
here...)

In any case, I gave a commitment that I would purchase this amp and will
keep it.  A few of you told me that I can still get a 8873 for about
$499 from RF Parts.  Thanks for the bad news :) If anyone happens to
find one at a more reasonable price, please drop a line.  I'd like to
have a spare 8873.  Just in case....

Thanks again, and very best regards

George

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov