SB-230 (aka SB-614)

Terry Perdue terryp at HALCYON.COM
Wed Dec 2 21:58:15 EST 1998

>I do, however, like the idea of a silent amp but am not excited with the
toxic heat sink.  I imagine that with care and common sense it is safe.

George and all...

You probably know this, but it's not the heatsink that's toxic, it's the
Beryllium Oxide insulator between the 8873 and the heatsink, and only if if
somehow turns to dust. It's not a risk unless you purposely grind on it and
make a point to breath the resulting dust. It's the same ceramic that's used
to encase RF power transistors, and no one is afraid to handle them. I know
people who routinely break the top of them with a screwdriver and hammer
when they fail to determine why, and they're still alive and well. That's
not something I'd recommend, but I just didn't want you to be paranoid
around your SB-230.

Terry K8TP
(formerly, "One of the Hams at Heath")

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov