Help: Broken Heath Toroids

Steve Harrison ko0u at OS.COM
Tue Dec 8 00:56:49 EST 1998

At 10:10 PM 12/7/98 EST, Robert S. Capon wrote:
>Hi:
>
>I'm working on a Heath 2060A antenna tuner, and unfortunately both toroidal
>cores are broken in half.  I have three questions:
>
>1) Will broken toroids work if they're pieced back together, or should
they be
>replaced?

Yes, they usually will. The only problem I've encountered was when the
ferrite was lossy at high frequencies and heated sufficiently for the epoxy
to become soft. I can't remember the name of it... look for a
high-temperature epoxy if you can, and use only a very thin layer.

>2) The Heath part number is 475-19, but there is no description of the
>component other than "Toroidal Core".  From the ARRL handbook, I am guessing
>that it's a T-200 (OD 2", ID 1.25", Height .55").  Further, it's red on one
>side, so I'm guessing it's an E-type powdered iron toroidal core.  Does this
>sound like a good description for the 475-19?

Highly likely. The red color identifies the core as type 2 material, which
is designed for HF (roughly 3-30 MHz).

>3) Where can one obtain these toroids in quantity of 2?

Amidon or Fairrite (although Fairrite may have a minimum quantity, I'm not
sure anymore). Amidon is a low-quantity distributor while Fairrite is the
manufacturer. There are other manufacturers with suitable replacements, and
most also have crossreferences. Sorry, I don't have any addresses, etc.;
try looking in QST, CQ, 73, or even the vendor's list in the ARRL handbook.

73, Steve Ko0U/1

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH