Heathkit HX-1681 Help

Steve Harrison ko0u at OS.COM
Wed Dec 9 21:19:37 EST 1998

At 12:40 PM 12/9/98 -0500, George Gleim wrote:
>Greetings green guys.
>
>Can anyone assist with locating a rather odd Heathkit part number:
>150-72
>It is U101 on the Het. Osc. Board and mine seems not to be working.  It
>looks like this device mixes 5-5.5mhz from the VFO board with an xtal
>(80-10 meters) and the result is the transmit frequency.  I've got good
>input from the vfo and all of the xtals are working, just NO output (pin
>1) from this dohickey  The small, 8 pin device in in a metal rectangular
>can marked MCLSBL-1

This question came up almost exactly one month ago. Here's the original
question and my response:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At 04:29 PM 11/10/98 -0800, w stahlberger wrote:
>Hello My Heathkit MX 1681 CW xmiter needs a Double Balanced mixer.(U101)
>Heath part nr. is 150-72. The following is marked on the unit MCLSBL-1. Can
>anyone help me with a replacement or identify a substitute item Thanks in
>advance for your help,
>  Bill WA1HCF/6

Very common part. The MCL in the P/N means MiniCircuits Laboratories; the
SBL-1 is the part number of the mixer. MiniCircuits Labs has a web page;
but I believe they also have a minimum order.

You should be able to order a replacement mixer from people like RF Parts:

http://www.rfparts.com/

or maybe Dan's Small Parts:

http://www.fix.net/dans.html

A favorite source of such parts for V/UHFers is DownEast Microwave (usually
called DEM):

http://downeastmicrowave.com/

I am almost positive that DEM has the SBL-1 or a suitable replacement in
stock and they will ship tomorrow.

In your application (HF), you can replace the SBL-1 with almost any
double-balanced mixer designed to operate with a local oscillator power
level of +7 dBm; DEM will have suitable replacements.

The price will likely be between $5 and $10.

73, Steve Ko0U/1

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH