SB200 - No HV

Emile Imberman Emile_Imberman at 3COM.COM
Wed Dec 16 10:07:53 EST 1998

Hi All,
         I have recently purchased an SB200. This Amp was part of a Drake
Station that I bought. This is my first Heath Amp. Anyway, the Amp does not
work, it seems that there is no High Voltage. In the manual, as part of the
initial test, they want you to rotate the meter switch through all of its
positions. The only meter deflection should be in the HV position and
should read approx. 2400 Volts.
         I do have filament voltage as the tubes light up,  the Meter Lamp
lights  and the Fan Turns (no smoke!). I measured the HV with a probe and I
do see HV going to the circuit board where the diode string and capacitors
are.  Someone told me it is probably an open diode and that has been an
inherent problem with the SB series of Amps.
         I would like to get some opinions here if you guys think it could
be the diodes and some advice on how to test which one or more of the
sixteen diodes on the circuit board may be bad. Also, does anyone know the
value of the diodes as the manual does not tell you.  Radio Shack has some
1KV at 1.5Amps, would that work?.
        I appreciate in advance any helpful information that I can get,
especially from those who have experienced this problem with their SB200's.
73.  Emile

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH