SB200 - No HV

Keith Rowland k4kgw at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Dec 17 08:04:29 EST 1998

Emile:

The Radio Shack diodes will probably work if you just want to do the absolute
minimum to get your SB-200 operational, however I would personally replace all
16 of the diodes, and check all the electrolytics for leakage as well, since it
could be that one or more of them caused the diode or diodes to blow (if that's
the problem, and it looks as if it is).  If it were my amp, I'd replace them
with 3 amp, 6 kv units. I know that's overkill, but the diodes are not
expensive.

Better yet, there is a source of update modification kits for Heatkit amps that
can be had at very reasonable prices.  These kits will solve the chronic
problems inherent in the SB-line amps, including the problem of inrush current,
which is probably what causes these problems in the first place.  The kits are
beautifully made and quite inexpensive.  The're made by:

Harbach Electronics, WA4DRU
2318 S. Country Club Rd.
Melbourne, FL  32901-5809
http://www.harbach.com