Tomorrow's Heathkit

Dave Wood W4EJ at COASTALNET.COM
Thu Dec 24 09:14:25 EST 1998

Hey gang, with all due respect to Mitch and others, I think it is important
to compare Heathkit manuals to it's peers of the time.  I never noticed
this type of information in Knight Kit, Eico, or other similar vendors.
Anyone ever work on a Hammerlund?  You will be under whelmed with the
abundance of information.  Service information on consumer equipment in the
60's and 70's was haphazard at best, with Heath better than most.
Personally, I've always found Heath's "Theory of Operation" sections of
their manuals pretty good.  Try Knight or Eico for comparison.  I freely
admit the 417-xxx transistor house markings a little irritating, but a
survey of "Practical Transistor Design and Analysis" by John Williams will
go a long way to solving that issue.  A good review of Thevein and Norton
will take care of most of the "expected voltages " problem.73 and good
Heathing.  Dave

>The manuals are OK but the>documentation is pitiful.  Especially the
schematics.  No theory of >operation to speak of, not a wave form, not a
voltage, very poor description

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH