Tomorrow's Heathkit

John Campbell r3campbell at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 24 12:05:05 EST 1998

Hi fellow Greenies.....I have been following this thread for a while now
and would like to say that I have been a commercial two-way tech for
over 28 years. At one time or another I have been called upon to service
everything from hand held radios to 20kW broadcast transmitters, and
have seen all kinds of technical documentation ranging from excellent to
atrocious. Overall, I would rate the Heath documentation in the upper
third of it's class. In the early '70's I built my Heath station
(SB-303/401/220/630) and still use it regularly to this day. It has been
necessary to make various repairs over the years
 to keep the gear working properly, but the Heath documentation has
always proven adequate for the job. Like Dave said, a little work with
Ohm's Law will usually fill in whatever voltages may be missing from the
voltage charts.
Just my 2 cents worth.....John (W8JNC)

>Date:         Thu, 24 Dec 1998 09:14:25 -0500
>From:         Dave Wood <W4EJ at COASTALNET.COM>
>Subject:      Tomorrow's Heathkit
>To:           HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
>
>Hey gang, with all due respect to Mitch and others, I think it is
important
>to compare Heathkit manuals to it's peers of the time.  I never noticed
>this type of information in Knight Kit, Eico, or other similar vendors.
>Anyone ever work on a Hammerlund?  You will be under whelmed with the
>abundance of information.  Service information on consumer equipment in
the
>60's and 70's was haphazard at best, with Heath better than most.
>Personally, I've always found Heath's "Theory of Operation" sections of
>their manuals pretty good.  Try Knight or Eico for comparison.  I
freely
>admit the 417-xxx transistor house markings a little irritating, but a
>survey of "Practical Transistor Design and Analysis" by John Williams
will
>go a long way to solving that issue.  A good review of Thevein and
Norton