HA 10 Warrior Amp Manual

Keith Rowland k4kgw at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Dec 31 06:18:52 EST 1998

Russ:

I wouldn't let the swinging choke keep me from buying one of these amps.  It's
not likely to go out in the first place.  If it should do so, I believe you
could get one from Peter Dahl or one of the other transformer manufacturers,
altho it would likely be a bit on the pricey side.

If one is not a purist about keeping the gear as original as possible, a good
solution would be to convert the entire power supply to (forgive me, folks!)
solid state.  The swinging choke is not essential to the operation of an 811
amp--look at all the designs for 811s that use standard solid state power
supplies.  Much as it pains me to think of losing the beautiful bluish glow of
the mercury vapor rectifiers, I must admit that they are great RF hash
generators, and if I am not mistaken, they also have a somewhat larger voltage
drop than silicon diodes. Not only that, but the silicons are a lot cheaper
than tube rectifiers of that size.

So don't worry; if you're planning actually to use the amp, and not acquiring
it for its future collector value, it won't become useless should something
irreplaceable should go out in the original power supply.

73,

Keith

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov