Go Figure!

Keith Rowland k4kgw at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Feb 27 08:38:30 EST 1998

Van:  You refer to "...you low bidders..." as if I were one of them.
Not so.  I was merely commenting on what I see to be a phenomenon that
is removing a good deal of the enjoyment that many hams, most of whom
are of modest means, derive from trading older equipment, fixing it up,
using it, and so forth.

I am certainly no opponent of the capitalist system, however, there is a
point at which so-called "free enterprise" becomes greed, and I believe
that point is reached when an item is artificially inflated to the point
of absurdity.  For example, when an item that cost, say $20 originally,
is not old enough to be a true antique, is not really scarce, and is
still in widespread use (like the Heath VFO, for instance), sells for
nearly $200.00.

We must remember that there is also a point at which capitalism becomes
economic totalitarianism, where the elitist "laissez faire" ideology
creates a society (much like our own era of robber barons) where some 5%
of the population owns and controls 95% of the wealth and property...a
condition that still exists in many countries (and we all know which
ones these are).  Am I wrong in believing that one of the main driving
forces involved in the creation of the United States of America was a
strong anti-elitist sentiment?

Your point about real estate investing is well taken.  That is why I do
not invest in real estate.  By the same token, there is not a single
piece of old electronic junk (or new electronic junk, for that matter)
that I want badly enough to purchase at patently ridiculous prices.

In any case, you and I are certainly both free (at least for now) to
express our opinions on the matter, and I respect your opinion, even
though I don't agree with it.  My original comment was neither for or
against the auction process--I don't really care how other people spend
their money.  My point was that by participating in such activities, the
people complaining about it were actively abetting the activity, and
that if they wanted to do something about it, there was a way to do it.

I trust that you will take my comments in the spirit that they are
made--and that is the original spirit of the amateur radio fraternity,
which, like the general populace, contains within its ranks individuals
comprising a wide range of different opinions, wishes, desires, economic
positions and interests, but all of whom are bound together by many
common bonds.

73, Keith

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov