Seneca troubles pt2

Rankin A. Curtis, Jr. acurtis at NETDOT.COM
Fri Jan 23 12:31:25 EST 1998

Chuck...

Are you CERTAIN that the relay is indeed rated for 110 Volts "AC", and not
DC?  An AC rated relay will have a "shading coil" on the core, normally a
copper loop that looks like a short on one half of the core. It acts to
change the phase of the magnetic field on half the core, so the attraction
force is more constant through the AC waveform. A DC rated relay will not
have this coil, and will chatter if used on AC. Also, if the AC relay has
lost it's shading coil for some reason, it will also cause it to chatter.

If it is indeed an AC rated relay, then all I can suggest is to measure the
voltage at the coil when energized to insure no voltage drop along the way.
Sometimes connections can look okay when they're not, and they can drive you
crazy.

Hope this helps.

Army - AE5P
Nacogdoches, the oldest town in Texas