HW-16 Advice Needed

Bahr, Casey casey_bahr at MAIL.INTEL.COM
Fri Jan 30 11:36:14 EST 1998

Danny,

I'm sure you don't have one, but a variable power supply for that (a
variac I believe
they are called) is what you need when you first fire it up, especially
if it has been
sitting a long time. The filter capacitors need to be "reshaped" after
being idle so
long and if you apply full power they could be damaged. It's also likely
that you
will need to replace one or all the filter capacitors, because they dry
out over
time. The most common symptom of this a hum on the receiver, and perhaps
a chirp on transmit.

Secondly, apply De-Oxit (you can find it at any decent electronics shop)
to all the
tube socket, the pot, and the switches. Spray a small amount on and flip
the
switch back and forth, turn the pots back and forth, and insert and
extract the
tubes in their sockets, all at least ten times. Look for ground
connections, too,
and apply there. This will remove corrosion and resistance points. Also,
you might
give a careful look at all the solder joints and if you have an iron,
re-heat them
so you can eliminate any cold solder joints that can appear over time.

Lastly, check out Radio Electric Supply. They are a great source of
tubes
and you can order online. They are very helpful if you need tube
substitutions
as well. Let's see the URL is ...

http://www.vacuumtubes.net/index.html

Good luck with that HW-16. If you need xtals I can dig up some sources
for those as well.

73,

Casey KS7J