Possible SCAM

Mike Souhrada wb9iog at REVEALED.NET
Sat Jul 4 14:23:06 EDT 1998

Ed Mosher wrote:

> I received a request for some information from a "ham" in South America.
> He wanted to purchase some of my surplus Heath manuals.  He stated he
> was, however, afraid to send money orders via mail, and he asked for "MY
> Bank account number and bank routing numbers" so he could make a wire
> transfer.  Am I the only one who sees something not quite right here.
>
> In case you've been hiding for a long time, with those numbers someone
> can CLEAN OUT your account as well as deposit to it.  BEWARE if anyone
> wants to do business that way.
>
> There IS a way to do this. Check your bank for the procedure to have
> money transfered directly to the BANK in a secure account.  It's called a
> UPI transfer, for "Upon Proper Identification"  That way banks talk to
> banks only, and do not access accounts directly.
>
> FYI;  Seller Beware!
>
> Ed
> WA8ZVO at JUNO.COM         Formerly  "One of the Hams at Heath"

ED
I noticed this post and felt I should comment.
The wire transfer wiring via bank route number is a common commercial
mode
of depositing money internationally. Your concern for cleaning out the
account
is not warranted as there is no authorization on your part for such a
transaction.

Banks do talk to banks in this way often. As a former corporate
controller
of 25 + years I've done it many times, especially for credit risks. I've
also made arrangements personally for an international sale of ham gear.
It's a very safe way of getting funds to your account not out of.
Mike

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH