HD-5404 Info?

Steve Harrison ko0u at OS.COM
Sat Jul 11 13:19:32 EDT 1998

Need info on the HD-5404 Monitor Scope; I find it listed along with the
HD-5404-1 Panadapter module on KB9JJA's Heath matrix at

http://members.accessus.net/~dwentz/kb9jja/heathkit/matrix/heathkitmatrix.html

but Dale has no pix or other info. I'd like to know how the 5404 differs
from the earlier monitor scopes and how well it actually works compared to
those units. Also, does it have specific features that either REQUIRE or
ALLOW special operation with the SB104?

What's a good price for a 5404 in so-so condition? Any reliability problems
or "impossible-to-get" parts for common failure modes? How common is the 5404?

For general transmitter monitoring, is it as useful or more-so than one of
the earlier models; i.e., would you recommend this model or another (such
as the HO-10) for such general-purpose transmitter monitoring (I would be
using it with many other transmitters other than Heath)?

TNX for any info whatsoever; and many TNX to Dale, KB9JJA, for his Heath
web pages, particularly the newly-started schematic section, accessible from

http://members.accessus.net/~dwentz/kb9jja/heathkit/

Dale, I would like to make a request: at some time in the future, perhaps
you or somebody else could arrange another matrix that lists equipment by
category or function, such as transceivers, transmitters, monitor scopes,
etc.? Or have I missed seeing such a matrix?

73, Steve Ko0U/1

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH