Source for good stuff

George Gleim george at QNQ.COM
Tue Jul 14 15:23:06 EDT 1998

Hello Greenies,

This email was sent to me by Rob Hummel over a year ago and I thought
that it would be nice to share it with the group once again.

Lots of good information for those who restore Heath and other older
gear.

If anyone knows if this guy has a web site somewhere, please pass it
along.

Best regards,

George

R&R Designs On Line Catalog.
202 Midvale Drive
Marshall, Wi. 53559
1-800-372-4287 (Orders Only Please)
1-608-255-0400 (Technical)

Email: rehummel at aol.com for catalog, updates, and orders.
Working on a Web site and URL.

Hammarlund Clocks,
The Hammarlund clocks are available.  They are beautiful reproductions.
They have quartz movements, complete with sweep second hand!
No timer functions, or turn on functions.
The "Telechron" symbol has been replaced with the Hammarlund symbol, The
"H"
with the arrow through it.  On a steel plate, they are ready to mount.
Fits all of the
receivers that used the clocks.  They look wonderful in the receivers!!
$39.95 each plus $3.00 ship.  $1.00 extra ship for second clock, .50 for
each extra clock after two.

Be sure to specify type when ordering  12 hour, or 24 hour!
HQCLK24   24 Hr. Hammarlund Clock  $39.95 + $3.00 SHIP
HQCLK12   12 Hr. Hammarlund Clock  $39.95 + $3.00 SHIP

Hammarlund Blank Plates.  are available for $14.95 each plus $3.00 Ship.

as many as you like for the same shipping, up to two pounds, then add a
dollar
for each extra pound! (That's alot of plates!!)
HBP  $14.95 PLUS $3.00 SHIP

Hammarlund Clock Lenses are available.
Vacuum molded replications, look exactly like the originals.
They are quite a bit thicker, very substantial.
The vacuum molded ones give the unit the "older" appearance,
with a brand new  lens.
$12.95 each, shipped.  Order HCLVM.
HCLVM  $12.95 SHIPPED.

Hammarlund Clock Lenses INJECTED MOLDED type soon to be available.
They may be ordered at any time.  They are precision replicas!  They are
presently
on back-order.  Orders will be filled in order when the injection molded
lens
becomes available.  They will give the receiver a "brand new"
appearance.
 $12.95 each, shipped. Order HCLIM
HCLIM  $12.95 SHIPPED

Hammarlund HQ129X BRAND NEW, FRONT PANELS, are available.
These are beautiful brand new reproductions of the very first, HQ-129X
receivers.
(there were four different front panel versions).  This is the
original.  Gives that HQ129X
a brand new look!!
Order
HQ129XFP  $55.00 Plus $3.00 Ship

Wall Clocks,  24 Hour Analog.
Wall clocks, These are 24 hr. analog clocks. with a 7" face, not too
big, not too
small.  They won't take up the whole wall in your station!!  Easy to
read,
$19.95  plus $3.00 ship. $39.95 for deluxe model, (hardwood frame) plus
$3.00
ship.   Just a Note, the Aviation people love these clocks!!
I will get a picture in as soon as possible.  These are the clocks that
everyone wanted at
Dayton, (besides the Hammarlund clocks!)  You will not be dissapointed.
WCL724 Regular Clock, 24 Hr. $19.95, plus $3.00 Ship Round Plastic,
Black Frame.
WCL724D Deluxe Clock, 24 Hr. $39.95, plus $3.00 Ship Hardwood Frame,
Oak.

PHONE FILTERS.
Three  Models are now available.  They are no longer kits.  They are all
multisection filters, and are quite effective in eliminating completely
or drastically reducing RFI in
that dreaded Telephone. (The thing that rings every time you go on the
air HA!)

PF-1  WIRE IN TYPE,  WITH INSTRUCTIONS, $6.95 PLUS $3.00 SHIP

PF-2  PLUG IN TYPE, WITH 6' CORD.  CORD HAS MALE 4 PIN PLUGS, BOTH
         ENDS. FILTER IS LOCATED ABOUT 6" FROM ONE END.  JUST REMOVE
         YOUR OLD PHONE CORD, AND INSTALL THIS ONE.   $10.95 PLUS $3.00
         SHIPPING.

PF-3  VERY UNIQUE FILTER.  BUILT IN DOUBLE FEMALE COUPLER  BOX, 4 PIN
         FEMALE SOCKETS AT EACH SIDE.  SUPPLIED WITH 4" DOUBLE MALE
         WIRED CORD, EXTREMELY VERSATILE, AND EASY TO PIN POINT RFI WITH

         THIS FILTER.
         $12.95 PLUS  $3.00 SHIP

    IF YOU ORDER MORE THAN ONE FILTER, THE $3.00 SHIP WILL COVER THE
    EXTRA FILTERS, UP TO TEN.  THEN PLEASE ADD ONE MORE DOLLAR FOR
    SHIPPING.  NOW ITS AFFORDABLE TO PUT FILTERS ON THE SERVICE
    ENTRANCE, AND EVERY PHONE IN THE HOUSE,  AND MAYBE EVEN THE
    NEIGHBORS!!

BOATANCHOR PAINTS AVAILABLE.
AVAILABLE IN  PINTS, QUARTS, GALLONS,  SPRAY CANS, AND TOUCH UP BOTTLES.

ALL PAINTS ARE READY TO SPRAY!!

TOUCH UP BOTTLES HAVE SHAKER BALL AND BRUSH IN CAP.

PLEASE ORDER BY NUMBER DESCRIPTION,  AND TYPE, (PINT, QUART, SPRAY CAN
ETC.)

HEATHKIT #100    APACHE CABINET GREEN
HEATHKIT #102    APACHE FRONT PANEL BLUE/GREEN
HEATHKIT #103    APACHE FRONT PANEL CREAM
HEATHKIT #110    DX-100 SERIES CABINET GREY
HEATHKIT #111    DX-100 SERIES CONTROL AREA GREY
HEATHKIT #112    DX-100 FRONT PANEL SILVER
HEATHKIT #113    DX-40  "TINTED" MAROON/GREY
HEATHKIT #120    TWOER TAN FRONT PANEL.
HEATHKIT #121    TWOER TAN CABINET
HEATHKIT #130    HW CABINET GREEN
HEATHKIT #131    HW101 FRONT PANEL LIGHT GREEN
HEATHKIT #140    HW-9 FRONT PANEL (DARK BROWN) (BROWN BOX SERIES)
HEATHKIT #141    HW-9 CABINET  (BROWN BOX SERIES)

HALLICRAFTERS #300   SX-100 TRIM, SMOKE METALIC BLACK
HALLICRAFTERS #301   SX-100 SILVER TOP
HALLICRAFTERS #302   HT GREY (SX-117, SX-122)
HALLICRAFTERS #303   SX-43 LIGHT BLUISH/GREY
HALLICRAFTERS #304   S-40 GREEN/GREY (DARK CHARCOAL TYPE)
HALLICRAFTERS #305   S-20R SERIES.  DARKER BLUISH/GREY

DRAKE    #400   DRAKE "4" LINE SATAN BLACK

EF JOHNSON CO.  #500 VIKING MAROON  (RANGER, VALIANT, 500, VIKING 1

VIKING II)

EF JOHNSON CO.  #501 VIKING GREY  FRONT PANEL (RANGER, VALIANT,
                                                             500, VIKING
1, VIKING II)

COLLINS CO.  #RR126   COLLINS "S" LINE TRIM RING
COLLINS CO.  #RR180   COLLINS "S" LINE CABINET PAINT
COLLINS CO.  #RR250   COLLINS "S" LINE FRONT PANEL PAINT
COLLINS CO.  #RR156   COLLINS  KWM-380 FRONT PANEL
COLLINS CO.  #RR489   COLLINS  KWM-380 CABINET PAINT
COLLINS CO.  #RR270   COLLINS  ST. JAMES GREY  (32V, 75A SERIES)

NATIONAL   #600   NATIONAL NC-155 "COSMIC BLUE"
NATIONAL   #601   NATIONAL NC-300  SERIES LIGHT GREY TOPS
NATIONAL   #602   NATIONAL NC-300  SERIES DARK GREY BOTTOM
NATIONAL   #603   NATIONAL HRO 50/60, NC-183  (NOT IN STOCK AT THIS
TIME)
NATIONAL   #604   NATONAL  NC-88/98  HAMMERTONE (NOT IN STOCK)

HAMMARLUND #800      HQ SERIES CABINET
HAMMARLUND #800SP SP SERIES FRONT PANEL PAINT

GONSET #1000  GONSET COMMUNICATOR, WHITE.

YAESU #757       YAESU DARK GREY, FT-757  SERIES.
YAESU #760       YAESU FT-101 SERIES LIGHT GREY CABINET

KENWOOD #440  KENWOOD TS-440,940  450/950

SPRAY CANS....12 OZ. EACH.  $14.95 EACH PLUS $3.00 SHIPPING.
                                                (ADD $1.00 EACH FOR NEXT
TWO CANS,
                                                  50 CENTS FOR EACH CAN
AFTER THE FIRST
                                                 THREE).

TOUCH UP BOTTLES,     2-3 OZ    EACH.  $6.95 PLUS $3,00 SHIP. ADD $.50
                                                   FOR EACH ADDITIONAL
BOTTLE

PINT CANS  $12.95 PLUS $3.00 SHIPPING ADD 1.00 FOR EACH ADDITIONAL
                                                  CAN ORDERED.

QUART CANS $19.95      PLUS $6.00 SHIPPING, ADD $1.00 FOR EACH
                                                    ADDITONAL CAN
ORDERED.

GALLON CANS  $69.95   PLUS $14.00 SHIPPING, ADD $6.00 FOR EACH
                                                    ADDITONAL CAN
ORDERED.

CALL FOR 55 GALLON DRUM PRICES AND SHIPPING.

PROFESSIONAL SELF ETCHING PRIMER.

19OZ CAN.  THIS IS A VERY SPECIAL SELF ETCHING PRIMER, AND WE HIGHLY
RECOMMEND IT  WITH OUR PAINTS.  IT IS VERY SPECIAL AS IT WILL PRIME AND
SELF "ETCH" ALL METALS,  ALUMINUM, STEEL, STAINLESS STEEL,  AND
ANODIZED METALS.   IT IS ALSO "SELF GUAGEING".  IT WILL TELL YOU WHEN
YOU HAVE  THE CORRECT AMOUNT OF PRIMER ON THE SURFACE BY ITS COVERAGE.

$19.95  PLUS $4.00 SHIP.  THESE ARE BIG CANS, AND WILL DO MANY A
                                          CABINET AT 19 OZ PER CAN.

ORDER #RR5111  SPECIAL PRIMER

Special Paint Notes:
Heathkit Paints:  Apache Cabinet and front panel paints match ALL of the
Indian Lines, and a few extra models, such as the HR-20, and HX-20,  The
First, DX-60, HR-10, And HG-10.  (Later DX-60A, and B, HG-10B, And
HR-10B, uses the "Green Scheme".)  Order the HW paints  for those.

On the Heathkit SB  Line, we took an several NIB units, and copied their
paint. Heathkit had  alot of different shades during this era.  We took
the best, from  the mid-70's.   Ideal for oversprays.  Due to the many
different shades that were manufactured, it is virtually impossible to
have an "exact"  match.  This is why we took the best paint example, and
the most common paint shade, found among the Heath colors.

Note on Drake paint.  Due to the nature of the Drake "Satan Black",
special bases and
flatners must be used to reprooduce this color. It is a very hard paint
to match.  The
use of these special flatners drastically reduces the shelf life.  We
suggest you use the Drake  paint as soon as possible.  We are estimating
the shelf life to be 30 to 45 days from the time you receive your
paint.  SHAKE IT WELL,  and use it in a reasonable amount of time.

DO NOT ADD ANY HARDNERS,  REDUCERS, OR  ANY ADDITIVES!.  THE CAN HAS
INFORMATION RELATING TO THIS,  DO NOT ADD ANYTHING AS THIS HAS BEEN DONE
FOR
YOU.  ALL OF OUR PAINTS ARE READY TO SPRAY.

All paints are a urethane based enamel, which will work well with any
prior paint on any cabinet.

In some cases, you may find our paint a slight bit glossier than the
original paint.  We do this
to give the paint a longer shelf life.  Our shelf life is 2 years,
unless noted, IE Drake paint.
Very few colors we picked were flat, they were originally glossy.

Due to the numerous color shades that were used on our older equipment,
we cannot really advertise
a "perfect" match.  In many cases, our paints will.  This is due to the
fact that we used "New In BOX"
items, that were "protected", or we found a "mint" condition unit to
duplicate the paint.  We then
went through exhausting tests to make sure our product matched the
majority of the units found.

If you have any questions on our products, please feel free to call us.
PLEASE use the
1-608-255-0400 number for technical support. It helps us keep costs
down, and pass those
savings on to you in pricing our products.

PARTS

Heathkit Belts.
SB and HW Line Drive Belts.
For the drive train in the Heath products that use the rubber belts.
They are brand new,
manufactured with modern materials to withstand the heat, and retain
their gripping power.
An exact size and fit.  $4.50 each, shipped, or 10+ $4.00 each

Heath 11 Pin plugs.
The 11 pin plug for the HP series power supplies. $3.00 each, plus $1.50
shipping.
We have a limited amount of shells, they are $3.00 each, plus shipping
if ordered alone.

8 Pin plugs.  $3.00 plus $1.50 shipping,  shells $3.00 each plus
shipping if ordered alone.

SB-100/101/102 HW, relays.  $24.00 each plus $3.00 ship.

100 Khz Crystals.  $15.95  SHIPPED.  In stock, tested.

Hetrodyne Oscillator Crystals are available at $15.95 each. When my
supply runs out, they will
be a special order item.  They will then sell for $18.95 each, shipped.

Collins Mechanical Filters:
We have a limited supply of Collins Mechanical Filters, these filters
are good for modifying the
R-388, and 75A1.  They are 3.5Khz wide, centered at 501.5 khz.
Modification sheets included
with the filter,  $60.00, shipped.
CMF1...$60.00, shipped.

KITS

Crystal Calibrator kits.
Many are being shipped, fully assembeled.  We are awaiting a custom
chassis, and
the kit will be ready for delivery.  These are the original tube type
calibrators,  for the
Collins, Heathkit, Knight Kit, National, Hammarlund, Hallicrafters, and
Swans.
We can build them for you now, for an additional price.  Guarenteed to
fit, and work
great!   Complete with tube and crystal.  You may order your kit at any
time, to guarentee first
delivery when the custom part needed arrives.  Some kits, are already
complete.

CCK  Crystal calibrator kit, specify Make, Model,  socket type if you
know.  $59.95 plus $3.00 ship.
CCW Crystal calibrator, wired and tested  Specify make, model and socket
type, if any. $69.95
          plus $3.00 ship.

Special note.   The Swans, did not have a plug in calibrator.  They had
holes drilled for a calibrator.
                       We have the parts, to fit the holes, and the
directions to wire them in.

DX-100/APACHE Modulation Modification Kits.
$24.95 plus $3.00 shipping.  All new components, make that Heathkit
sound "Great!"
Not like a telephone!!  We will be ready to ship as soon as the
instructions are checked for errors.
You may place your order now, and delivery will be shortly.
Order MODKT, specify DX-100 or Apache.

DX-100/APACHE,  "hole-less" Push-to-Talk  Mod kits.  Kit form  or
assembeled.
Nope!  No more changeing jacks, drilling holes, adding shielded wires,
just plug it in,
wire to PTT switch contacts on your microphone, and instant Push to
talk.  All the other
switching  and power supply connections are brought out on a rear 8 pin
octal plug, on the
push to talk  box.   The switch voltages going to your microphone
contacts are safe, low voltage
low current connections!!

Order
PTTKIT  Specify Model,  $39.95 plus $3.00 ship
PTTA     Wired and tested please specify model.  $49.95 plus $3.00 ship.

We have many more "Notions" on the way.
We appreciate all of you who have supported us.  We are small, and just
starting out.

Now please know, I love to talk with each  and everyone of you, share
ideas, discuss that
great new find, but please, try and use the 800 number for orders only.
It does cost money.
The phone company does not give it to me, (some folks think they do
HA!!).  I do not mind
answering short questions about all of the products, before you order.
That's only fair.

Help me keep the costs down on these products.  By using the Tech Line,
1-608-255-0400.
If you need something special, or are inquiring on tech help or paint
applications, please
help by using the tech line.  Again, it will help keep the costs down,
on all the products I am
trying to make available.  Everyone knows how much some of these new
components cost.
Used to be, we could purchase an entire crystal calibrator, with crystal
and tube, for $4.95.
That will not even buy the tube socket, or crystal now-a-days.

New Book on the way...

"Heathkit Amateur Radio Tech Bulletin and Problem solver guide"

We are not taking any advance orders at this time.  We will start as the
FIRST book nears
completion.   Looks as if there will be more than one volume.  If you
have something special to
share, regarding a problem you have had with a Heath product, Please,
send it in for the benefit
of others.  We will give you credit for your contribution.
 A VERY BIG THANKS TO CHUCK PENSON  WA7ZZE FOR HIS HUGE CONTRIBUTION,
AND   ENCOURAGEMENT!!

"THE HEATHKIT TECHNICAL JOURNAL"  IS ON THE WAY!!

A MONTHLY PERIODICAL, BEGINNING SEPTEMBER, at the latest!!  DONT MISS
THE PREMIER ISSUE!!

SUBSCRIPTIONS, will be $25.00 per year, for 12 issues.  ($30.00 Canada),
sorry, no overseas
at this time.  We will sell overseas subscriptions as soon as we can get
rates and methods
worked out.

Chock full of technical information on various Heathkit products,
articles on repair, operation and
restoration!!  Information on where to locate parts, how to substitute
parts, how to make parts,
repair problem causes and cures, a want ad section,  and much much more!

The Journal will concentrate on Amateur Radio, SWL, and Test Equipment
lines, but it is not beyond
us to include some stereo articles as well !!   We will also have
articles about many of the other fine
products that Heathkit produced in kit form!!

Advance subscriptions are NOW being taken!!   They will be held until
the very first issue.

Send in your subscription right away!!  Don't miss the premier issue!
Subscription rates: Journal sent
first class, payable in cash, check, money order, or Visa/Mastercard.
Send payments to
Robert E. Hummel  Editor, "The Heathkit Journal", at 202 Midvale Drive
Marshall, Wi. 53559

We invite all of your letters and comments, with any experience you may
have, or information you
wish to share with others in the Journal.  Articles and all items of
interest are also welcomed.
placed on E-mail using
Visa or Mastercard only.  Visa Mastercard Number, expiration date, Home
phone and billing
address must also be included.

Subscribers will receive 1 free ad of 5 lines, (25 words) per month.
And the nice thing, is that your
contact information, will NOT be included in those lines!!  So, you get
5 full lines of advertising for
free,  and your name, address and phone number are not included in the
word count!!
Extra ads, or extra words in an ad  for subscribers, will be charged at
the rate of ten cents per word.
and again, does NOT include contact information!  Ads for
non-subscribers will run 25 cents per word,
Minimum Charge  of $5.00 applies to ads less than 20 words.  Contact
information, will NOT be
included in the charge.   Please call us for commercial rates.

Ads are due by the 10th of each month.  We would like to see ads for US
made Vintage radios,
Notions, (such as antennas, freq. counters, etc.),  parts, and service.
However, all ads are welcome.

Also,  US companies who offer kits, and finished goods for the Classic
equipment radio operator.
(Microphones, Keyers, RTTY & CW Readers, etc).
Everyone still loves to build and restore Heathkits, and there are fewer
and fewer to be found in kit and restorable form.  The person with good
luck, a keen eye, or the deepest pockets wins, so.....,

HERE is a GREAT OPPORTUNITY for U.S. Kit manufacturers to advertise
their modern kit products.
(I personally HIGHLY recommend Ten Tec Kits, Quality of Heathkit, found
in the 90s!!) (Robert).
I know that there are many other kit manufacturers out there.

Just a note on Collins Paint, and to all Collins Radio enthusiasts, We
must Thank Dave Knepper,
Editor of the Collins Journal, for his "blessings and encouragement" on
adding the Collins Paint
line up.  I have service Collins equipment professionally for more than
20 years, but I never kept up
on the  "fine points" of collecting.  Nor, did I ever keep a "Journal"
on problems and cures.
Believe me, there were many.  Dave has sent me several copies of the
"Collins Journal", and if you are a Collins Owner, I highly recommend
it.  I am subscribing myself. I highly recommend it. Its  a
wonderful publication,  "Dedicated to the Preservation of Collins
Radios".
 A  first class subscription  mailed monthly can be obtained by mailing
Checks payable to:
  David Knepper,  PO Box 34, Sidman, PA. 15955.      Call Dave, or
e-mail him for more details,
at 814-487-7855, e-mail at SLKST29 at VMS.CIS.PITT.EDU

Also, as most of you know, another find Publication for the Classic
Amateur Radio Operator, is
of course, "Electric Radio".   Electric Radio deals with many different
makes and models of
classic radios.  It contains many wonderful articles on restoration,
repair, and finding parts.  It also has some teriffic modification
articles on many different makes and models of Classic Transmitters
and receivers.

My intent  with "The Heathkit Technical Journal", is not to "compete"
with "The Collins Journal", or
"Electric Radio", but to join in a fine family of publications,
dedicated to the collecting, restoration,
repair,  and operating of some of the finest gear this country has ever
produced!
 As a result,  our Journal will deal solely with Heathkit products, and
we will not be publishing articles about other makes of radios.   If you
have a really great article you would like to write about your favorite
Heathkit, by all means, please send it in.  If you have a nice article
about any other  Classic radio, please send it in to the other fine
publications,  so that all may share from your experience!!

I thank you all in advance for your tremendous support.  Everyone has
been super!!
We will do our best, to deliver to you, a high quality product!  Also a
Great Technical Journal to
help you keep your Heathkit station running on track!!

HOW TO ORDER:

Select your item, figure shipping from the rates I have listed with each
product.
If you are a Wisconsin Resident,  you must add 5.5% sales tax, as we are
located in
Dane County.  (Some Wisconsin counties are at 5%). (Remember, this was
supposed to
be temporary??)

Send your check, money order, or your Visa/MC number along with
expiration date, (letters do
require a signature), along with your list of selected items to:

R&R Designs
202 Midvale Drive
Marshall, Wi. 53559

Or, simply call us!!  Use your Visa/Mastercard!
Visa/Mastercard orders, call  1-800-372-4287
Technical support, 1-608-255-0400.
Spray cans can only go ground, due to Federal Regulations.

For an updated datalog, email us at rehummel at aol.com,  or drop us a
letter!  We will be happy to
mail out a catalog to you!!   If you wish to help with postage,  drop in
a 32 cent stamp!  But it is not
necessary!!  All of you have been swell, and have really kept me busy!!

Our Sincere Thanks To All Of YOU once Again!!
Robert & Roberta Hummel, "R&R Designs"....
("And Now you know.. the rest... of the story... "R&R" ")
73  Rob

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH