SB-102 with Lo-Pass filter

Robert P. Okas vintage at BEST.COM
Wed Jul 15 16:58:42 EDT 1998

Hi Allen,

    A PI-net is indeed a lowpass filter. It darned well better be since
it's also used to match the output of a Class-C final to the load. We all
know that Class C is anything but linear! I haven't done this, but it
would be an interesting exercise to compare the output spectra of a
transmitter with and without an outboard LPF.

    I have a Drake TVI filter that I once tried with my DX-100. I had an
SWR meter inline between the TX and the filter and couldn't get the SWR
down to 1:1 with a dummy load. Since I had no TVI complaints when running
80m AM, I elected to leave the filter out.

    I also run an SB-102 and the antenna is a 40m dipole, ladder line fed,
with an MFJ tuner. The neighborhood has cable and I'm guessing that 50% of
the residents are subscribers. I've had no TVI complaints and minimal
problems getting into my own (cable-less) TV. At another QTH with a cable
subscription, I couldn't stay out of my TV when operating 20m SSB. Heck,
the sound of my voice was even coming through the telephone receiver! And
this was an old-style, non-electronics phone!

    At the old QTH, I had a less than ideal grounding situation.
Presently, I have an 8' rod in ground with about 10' of #10 stranded wire
between the earth and the rig. This seems to have the greatest impact on
avoiding TVI.

    Hope this helps.

73,
Bob - W3CD