Chassis Cleaning Process

Edward Zeranski ejz at NOSC.MIL
Fri Jul 17 13:51:17 EDT 1998

At 10:36 AM 7/17/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello,
>    I am a new ham and need advise as to the safest process for cleaning
>years of accumulated dust from the chassis of my HW-100 and HP-23a. I
>thank you in advance.
>
>Jim La Grone
>KB9TCP

Jim,
        I've cleaned up several sets and what has worked out for me is this:

1: Remove the chassis from the cabinet then pull the tubes and removable
parts. Make notes as you go if you don't have a manual so you can get it
all back.

2: Brush away loose dirt etc. I sometimes use low pressure compressed air
to blast away dirt, debris etc, but be careful around coils or fragile parts.

3: Use mild detergent or cleaner like Simple Green etc. to clean gummy
stuff and clinging dirt from the chassis being sure not to get any wet
chemicals or cleaner dials. In many cases dial lettering can be ruined with
any 'wet' contact.

4: Air dry or use a blow dryer to dry the chassis.

5: Check chassis wiring and static socket resistances with an ohm meter
before applying any pwr. I usually hold off on powering up a set until I
get at least a schematic to check against what I have on the bench. In the
years since the set was built it could have been modified or not built
right in the first place. You don't want to fry a non replacable part!

6: I must admit that making a set work and learning about it is my main
interest. Total restoration would take many further steps. A lot of what I
have is not physically "collector grade" but does works electronically and
is clean  Actually I feel that my attempts at more than rudimentary touch
up or case restoration will make the set worse off, paint and body work is
not my strong suit.

7: Good luck with your radios!

Ed Zeranski  This is a private opinion or statement.
home email:  ezeran at cris.com

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH