What is a Heathkit??

Chuck K3FT k3ft at EROLS.COM
Thu Jul 23 21:56:54 EDT 1998

What is a Heathkit?

It's a mysterious collection of parts, metal, and paper wrapped in a box.
It's the trepidation that fills the newly minted constructor as he pores over the manual
comparing pictures and words with that LARGE and COMPLEX pile of parts, metal, and
paper... thinking "I'm GONNA BUILD THIS and IT WILL WORK??"
It's the manual telling you "WE WON'T LET YOU FAIL!"
It's the learning what those colored bands on those little cylinders mean
(and recalling the military mnemonic for the resistor color code.. which taught us
about someone named Violet and what bad boys do to girls!),
It's the checking off of boxes, being careful not to 'S' when it clearly says 'NS'!
It's the missed sleep, missed school, missed work, while the hours pass as we solder,
clip, check, and wire.
It's the final box checked, the resistances checked, the pots and switches preseet, the
AC plug inserted, and the momentary panic that preceeds the FLIPPING OF THE SWITCH!

It's the flush of "HOLY SH--!! NO SMOKE! IT WORKS!, as the rush of white noise pours
from the speaker, the meters flicker and the pilot lights light up. (AND STILL NO
SMOKE!)

It's the sitting there for a while just staring at the assembled collection of 'stuff'
and THEN.. aligning it and hearing it receive signals.. SSB, CW, AM, RTTY..

It's that INDESCRIBALY DELICIOUS FEELING that sweeps over you as you realize YOU BUILT
IT! IT WORKS! and YOU DID IT!

That is what a Heathkit is.

73

Chuck k3ft

C'mon you guys.. admit it. No one can see you. I see you all shaking your head and going
UH HUH! You ALL feel the same thing!

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH