HW101 Story

David Medley davemed at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Thu Jul 23 23:23:38 EDT 1998

My memory was jogged by the "What is a Heathkit" thread.
I have been a Ham for 65 years now and feel lonely without a ham station.
About 20 years ago when I was working for Rockwell/Collins I was sent to
Brazil for six months. I applied for a Ham licence and bought an HW101 kit
but was concerned about getting it through the Brazilian customs. Brazil at
that time was under a military government. So I unpacked all the mysterious
little packages and scattered the parts throughout my luggage. On arriving
at Rio de Janeiro the Customs man opened my luggage and was very surprised
to find all this stuff in my bags. As I did not speak much portuguese at
that time and he spoke little English we had an interesting conversation
but I managed to convey to him that they were samples for my Brazilian
customers and he shrugged his shoulders and sent me on my way.
I subsequently assembled the kit in a hotel in Belo Horizonte and made up a
20 meter dipole which I pushed out the windows supported by broomsticks and
enjoyed some good hamming as PY4ZAG. I don't know what the hotel people
thought and I was always concerned that I would have the military police
knocking on the door but nothing happened.
Dave KI6QE/7

Regards
David Medley  KI6QE/7 aka VK2IMJ
1020 West Oleta Drive
Tucson AZ  85704

Source of R390/390A hard to find parts and special services.
Check my Home Page at:
<<http://home.att.net/~davemed>http://home.att.net/~davemed>

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov