Heath Co./Heath manuals

Paul K. Dean wb9hgz at CHARLOTTESVILLE.NET
Fri Jul 24 07:13:14 EDT 1998

Hi, gang!

Since Heath has copyrighted their manuals, it is **technically** illegal to
copy them.  However, and I know this will honk off a couple of folks on
this list, in order to preserve a copyright, one MUST take positive action
to enforce it.  In my opinion, Heath has not done so.  A small
advertisement in a single, limited circulation magazine really doesn't
constitute a positive enforcement action.  Now, if they were to sue W7FG
and HI Manuals, I'd call that a positive enforcement action.

As far as I can tell, they, among others, are openly violating Heath's
copyright without repercussion.  I've never seen a "reprinted with
permission" notice on any of their products.  If I'm wrong on that, I will
stand corrected, but normally, a copyright holder giving permission to copy
requires such a statement.  I've reused ARRL materials with permission
before and they are very specific as to the language that must be used!

Anyway, just my 2 cents...........

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH