OK, DUST OFF YOUR KEYBOARDS, HERE COME THE QUESTIONS

Joe Filice jpf at PHOTON.COM
Sun Jul 26 17:12:36 EDT 1998

Greg,

> On old axial caps..I have noticed a banded end...what end is that + or -?

I think what you are actually referring to here are the paper dielectric
capacitors.  They aren't polarized.  The band indicates which terminal
is connected to the outermost plate of the capacitor.  This side is
always connected to ground for safety and, I would think, to minimize
hum pickup and such.  The DX-60 may not be old enough for them to be
a problem, but in older equipment I find that they are often bad.  I'm
working on a Zenith Transoceanic radio right now, and every one of
the paper capacitors tests bad, while all the ceramic and mica
capacitors are fine.  Even the electrolytics were reformable.  The radio
is about 45 years old.

> On the DX60, where the power cord comes into the chassis, there is a little
> box on mounted on the side, and the pwr cord plugs into two cans, at
> 600volts, are these non-polarized caps?
> what are they for?  are they a filter?  they are made by sprague, and are
> marked .01-600v

These same Sprague feed-through capacitors are also in the TX-1 "Apache".
They were shorted in my TX-1 and I spent some time finding replacements.
I found exact replacements at Surplus Sales of Nebraska.

Joe Filice, KQ6GL

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH