SB XXX product proposal, other VFOs, Freq Counter

Fred Finster Fred_Finster at EL.NEC.COM
Thu Jul 30 19:55:59 EDT 1998

     In reference below to the SB XXX product query, maybe these 3
     suggestions would be a solution to that drift problem for the SB line.

     Are there other suggestions out there to build a SB XXX product.  Here
     is my two cents worth to answer that question.   Maybe use this 1st
     product and add the Cake Pan 5 for the glow in the dark visual effects
     and get 5 watts Cw to boot or 1 1/2 Watts glorious AM phone on 80
     Meters.   That would be a Good SB xxx replacement product. Stability
     for frequency control using Solid State and easy clean Vacuum Tube
     Transmitter power output.   Since Heath made model 100, 101, 102, 103,
     104, 301, 401  maybe this proposed product could be named the SB 501
     in honor of HeathKit and the Cake Pan 5.  What do you think, John
     Dolan?

     http://www.mnsinc.com/bry/vintcat3.htm  CP5CW D Cake Pan 5 Transmitter
     Deluxe model with AM phone
     http://www.mnsinc.com/bry/vintcat6.htm  CP5TR Cake Pan 5 Transciever
     e-mail to CPCW5 at aol.com

     1st.)  I saw a company advertising from Canada in March 1998 73
     magazine that sold a DDS VFO for $149 +Shipping covering 10Hz to 40Mhz
     factory adjusted 200mV peak to Peak into 50 ohms. Pure Sine Wave.
     spurious emissions down 40db.

     Menu Plus Inc.
     1271 Denison St. Units 56-57
     Markham, Ontario
     Canada L3R 4B5

     Info Tel. (905)-470-2900
     after August 15th 1988 you can see Menu Plus at www.nexus.enginc.com
     for email use   nexuseng at nexusenginc.com

2nd.)   www.radioadv.com   has a $79 product called Cycle Master that is a
frequency counter that can control a Voltage Variable VFO.  A varactor
controlled oscillator.  You build the VFO and wire in this microcontroller
device that adds RIT and dual VFO's (A&B), displays the Frequency on RED LEDS
and has input buttons to control operation.   This device draws about 800
milliWatts of power.  Go look at the information.
You could design your own VFO here.   Far circuits has a VVFO PCB offered that
follows a W1FB design from 1990 QST?

http://www.radioadv.com/products/FreqMC/BK178t180.htm

3rd.)  This is just a inexpensive LCD frequency counter for $35
        http://www.fix.net/~jparker/blusky/ccd.htm
This LCD frequency counter microcontroller design has potential to do more,
similiar to the www.radioadv.com Cycle Master C7 design but using less power.
The original designer would have to be involved to make changes to support a
VFO.

I built this Blue Sky Technology kit myself and recommend it to anyone who needs
a simple 100hz-32Mhz frequency counter around the ham shack.  Or wants to add a
Digital Display to their Radio.

Fred Finster WB7ODY