HW-101 CW Keying

Stewart D Lyon stu_w6cux at JUNO.COM
Thu Jun 11 00:36:30 EDT 1998

Hi Ed,
I recently acquired a SB-401 and experianced the same problem you are
having with your HW-101. I concluded that  A)the tone generator amplitude
was too high, B) the anti-VOX adjustment had a great effect on how the
relay pulled in and dropped out (what was good on phone was not right on
CW) and C) the way Heath did the mode transfer is a Rube-Goldburg
arrangement at best.

I have just finished a circuit that keys the relay amplifier directly
without using the tone generator thru the VOX amplifier. The circuit is
pretty simply - using three resistors, a diode and a couple of  zeners
and seems to work pretty well.  I have yet to put it on the air (have to
relearn the code 1st!) so it's not completely checked out.  The next step
is to apply it to my SB-101 which should be pretty easy since the -101 &
-401 are very similar in that area.  If you are interested I'll keep you
informed in how it works.

However, I don't think there is a way to beat the relay delay on the
first dit. It has something to do with physics.  In the case of the -401
there are two relays in series and there is quite a delay. Motorola
builds a very complicated IC to speed up the pull-in of car fuel
injectors but that's not a route open to us. Maybe AE5P's foot switch is
the way to go.

I guess I won't sell my HX-1681 after all - it uses a solid state
switchover.

73, Stu - W6CUX
Winnetka, CA
ARRL Life Member