WTB Counter, A simple Build your own kit 32Mhz version.

Fred Finster Fred_Finster at EL.NEC.COM
Fri Jun 26 16:10:32 EDT 1998

     In the Heathkit tradition, here are a couple alternatives to get the
     frequency counting job done.

     Here is an alternative for rigs that don't have a digital display or
     to have a simple 32Mhz counter for your QRP rigs.

     I have built the Blue Sky Engineering K1MG frequency counter.  The
     instruction manual is detailed book with step by step instructions for
     putting in each component.  A couple intermediate tests to look for
     proper voltages on transistors and check for no solder shorts.  This
     was an easy 2 hour FUN FUN project.  Now that I have the completed
     board it works even better.  Just hooked it up to a Norcal TUNA TIN 2
     and checked that the kilohertz frequency read  041.2   or push the
     Megahertz button and read 7.041.   Worked the first time.  Hooked up
     to a SWAN Cygnet 260 that I was tuning up and having trouble.  On the
     scope the waveform looked fine, but the carrier balance was not
     working right.  Put this Frequency counter on it and measured 6.352
     Mhz.   Oh so thats my problem.  I hooked up to the V1 Oscillator Amp
     output and checked the Frequency should be in the 12.700 Mhz range,
     but it was 6.352Mhz.  So I adjusted the coil for a different peak and
     there was the 12.704 Mhz I needed.  I will put the K1MG in a plastic
     box and hook it up to the Swan 260 for a digital display.  Might even
     add some yellow LEDs to the front of the reflect LCD display for night
     viewing.

     It has 5 digital inputs for selecting up to 31 different frequency
     ranges.  Each range adjusts independantly for offset so that in a rig
     like the SWAN you can display your operating frequency directly.
     These adjustments are stored in a EEPROM.

     Uses a 6V backup camera battery (like a used polaroid film pack
     battery) to power the cpu as time keeping clock when the normal power
     is off.  One push button selects the clock or Frequency display.  Push
     one other momentary button for the Mhz display.  Release the button
     and it reverts back to the normal Khz display.  It is a good feeling
     to know right where you are in the spectrum.  This has paid off in
     helping me align an older rig!

     I really feel satisfied with this purchase of the K1MG frequency
     counter.  I have noticed several people asking about adding digital
     displays to their older rigs.  Here for approximately $35 you can do
     just that and have a FUN project to solder together!  Just as in the
     days of Heatkit!

     Blue Sky Engineering Company
     400 Blossom Hill Road
     Los Gatos, CA 95032

     http://www.fix.net/~jparker/blusky/ccd.htm
     This website has pictures front & back and the spec sheet.

     Here is 16 digit frequency counter that is very nice with backlight
     LED display for using your rig in the dark.

     Look at these websites for the Digital Frequency Display (DFD).

     http://www.mtechnologies.com/
     http://www.aade.com/

     Here is the application note on how to hookup to various HAM Rigs.
     http://www.aade.com/Applic~1.htm#TS820

     Fred Finster  WB7ODY  fredf at garlic.com 345 Lastreto Ave.
     Sunnyvale  CA 94086-4430

     ps.  checkout the NorCAL webpage for other supplier WEB links
     http://www.fix.net/norcal.html
     http://www.fix.net/~jparker/norcal/links/suplylinks.htm