More on tuning the HW16 for Curtis

WB4LNM WB4LNM at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 1 12:17:19 EST 1998

Curtis:

>>> Now that I've read your post, I AM really wondering if you are just ending
up tuning into the tuner, so to speak.  Sure sounds like it.  You have three
tuning controls, and it is very difficult to find out how to get all three
adjusted "right" that way.  You must adjust the transmitter output first into
50 ohms, then adjust the tuner without messing with the HW-16 tuning control.

Remove the tuner and try just going into the antenna, regardless of VSWR.  If
you can get substantially more relative power, then that is the problem.  You
need to tune into a dummy load first, then switch to the tuner and use it to
match to the antenna without adjusting the HW16 control.  Radio shack has a
dummy load for sale that you can use if you don't have one in the tuner (or
otherwise) P/N RSU 11269479.  Or, if you have a good junk box, a 2 watt, 50
ohm carbon comp resistor installed in a PL-259 will do.  You are only going to
dissipate heat for a second or two in it.

John...  WB4LNM

You wrote:::::

Sorry to be a bother, again!!!

I have an hw-16. I just installed an antenna tuner
in line, to balance the antenna a bit. Seems that
now that I'm ready to transmit, the thing doesn't want
to. Are there any specific things I should look for ?

When I puit the switch into OPR, the meter deflects one
unit. It used to deflect clear across the scale. I haven't
got the instructions to equalize the tubes for transmit yet,
so I'm kinda rolling blind. Any help with that ?

Anything specific I should look for ? I'm still waiting
on the manual, and want to see if I can at least get the
rig to talk, because I have a 6 band vertical for it that's
going into the ground, as soon as I can get the thing to talk
again. As always, any help at all is appreciated.

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH