SB-301 Problems

Stewart D Lyon stu_w6cux at JUNO.COM
Thu Mar 5 01:04:18 EST 1998

Hi Denny,
1. I think your major problem is the use of power supply diodes for high
frequency detectors. The reverse recovery time of these diodes is making
them act like resistors. I recommend you replace the two AGC diodes (D3 &
D4) with something like the 1N34. I have used NTE(or ECG)110MP which I
think are matched pair FM detector diodes.

2. You may have a gassy tube that is tied to the AGC line. This can be
determined by measuring the AGC voltage with a HI-Impedance voltmeter. If
the voltage is at all positive, one of the AGC-controlled tubes is
drawing grid current. About the only to determine which one is to replace
them one-by-one.

3. With the tube changes outlined below and using the calibrator as a
signal source, I measured the following AGC volts and S-meter readings:
No Signal  -0.7 v
3.7 Mhz      -4.28 v, S9+40db
7.2 Mhz      -3.71 v ,S9+30 db
14.2 Mhz   - 2.76 v, S9+5 db
21.2 Mhz   -2.67 v,  S9
28.2 Mhz   -2.15 v, S7
The drop in signal band-to-band is due more to higher harmonics from the
calibrator than from lessening sensitivity.

4. I place a posting a couple months ago about changing the tube types to
increase the sensitivity. In my SB-301, I changed V1 to a 6GM6, V2 to a
6AH6 and V6 to a 6HR6.
The V1 change (from a 6BZ6) was the most effective and was all the buzz
last month on the Collins reflector. (but you heard it here 1st!)  If you
change any of these tubes, you will have to realign the RF & IF coils
because of differance in tube capacitance - a two minute job.

5. I made some changes in the AGC time constants to improve the attack
and decay  time and will discuss them if anyone is interested.

Hope this helps.
73, Stu - W6CUX
Winnetka, CA
ARRL Life Member