Some Heath comments

William Lockwood lockw at DSUPER.NET
Fri Mar 13 00:12:55 EST 1998

Terry, I did exactly that with a GR-91 receiver. Unsoldered all the
components cleaned them up laid them aside. Purchased all new resistors,
capacitors, nuts, bolts lock washers and new tubes.
After all components were to hand I proceeded to build the kit following
each step as  called for in the manual. I was interested in your comment
about the chasis being cadmium plated. I had been wondering what the plating
was. I have a GC-1A Mohican which will receive the same treatment. On this
project, however, the chassis will get replated as it is covered with finger
and handprints which have etched away the plating. I was always under the
impression that the plating was tin. The fasteners Heath used were tin
plated and almost impossible to come by. The popular plating for nuts and
bolts these days seems to be zink. The food industry in the past used tin
plating but have now switched to stainless steel.
The first thing I do when I purchase a used Heathkit is open it up and
decide if its a candidate for rebuilding. So far most of them are. I'll be
building Heathkits until I'm too old to hold a soldering iron or until they
ban solder as being too hazardous to our health. I have about ten kits at
this point which need rebuilding.

The thing that interferes more than anything with my rebuilding efforts is
the thing this message is composed on.

Regards, Bill

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov