[Johnson] Knob Wanted for Ranger II

Edward Zeranski ejz at NOSC.MIL
Thu May 7 17:33:13 EDT 1998

At 11:57 AM 5/7/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Well, it seems as though the full assembly for the crystal cover for the
>Ranger II is going to be hard to find.
>Please let me know!
>Thanks & 73's
>Jack - W6ABC
>
>Howdy Jack!

        I just went back to the shop to pop an xtal cover off a Ranger. Looking at
it, it seems to be a standard hole plug, OD=1.655"(Starrett #120 dial
micrometer). The knob swaged on is the same basic knob as the Johnson knobs
with the 0-100 or 0-10 graduations on the skirt. It seems Johnson used the
same knob bodies on the plugs as the set-screw knobs sans tap for the set
screw. So...and though it might be heresy..if the number skirted knobs are
more common on junk sets it could be a project to remove the number skirt,
fit a standard hole plug, then use that R&R paint on the plug.  There have
been several posts on BoatAnchors stating that extant knob makers having
many classic molds (moulds???) can duplicate the missing parts or use a
sample to create a mold. I don't have my "sources" file handy right now.
This same thing might apply to Heath stuff also. I have a neat little HX-11
which has a similar cover on the left side to cover the xtal hole. Do other
Heaths use this? The DX-35 has a trap door on the back. I guess in the full
sense it wouldn't be original but a livable Band-Aid 'til a real one came
along. Good luck with the Ranger!

Ed Zeranski  This is a private opinion or statement.
home email:  ezeran at cris.com

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH