SB-650 and HW-101 -- request for help

Tom Bridgers tarheel6 at EMAIL.MSN.COM
Sun Nov 1 22:01:15 EST 1998

Hello to the Heath list members...

    I've just purchased a HW-101 and SB-650.  Both are in excellent
condition and I'm very pleased with them.  (By the way, my first Heath rig
was an AT-1 Transmitter and AC-1 antenna coupler combination that I
purchased in 1954!)

    I'm having a bit of trouble as follows and would appreciate any help you
could give me or direct me to:

1.  HW-101 ... Mode Switch ... tends to slip out of the LSB position into a
void, causing the receiver to go mute.  Is this a common ailment, I wonder,
and what is the cure?  (What I do when this happens is just twist the knob
slightly until the set comes alive again.   That works for maybe 10-15
minutes and then it'll slip again.)

2.  HW-101 ... Main tuning ... tends to slip with use.  After an hour or two
of use, the frequency on the dial may indicate 3.9 mHz, but for example
actually according to the SB-650 I'm 95 kHz lower at 3.805 mHz.  In other
words, the dial mechanism seems to slip so much that it is unreliable.  But
thanks to the SB-650, of course, I do know where I am.  Anyone know how
might I clean this puppy up and get it cranking correctly?

3.  SB-650 ... freezes on the last frequency displayed after 2 hours of use
...  Yes, I did have the counter on the HW-101, and yes it was hot.  But I'm
suspecting that the trouble may be with the heat sinking of the power
transistor mounted on the back panel.  Have others encountered this problem
and found a solution?  (By the way, this is my first item of gear with a
nixie tube display.  Kinda neat...)

---------------------
This is the very first HW-101 I've operated, and was very reasonably priced.
However, I was surprised that it doesn't have a more accurate VFO
(resolution to 1 kHz).  I guess the SB-650 was a necessity for a HW-101
owner ... if you really wanted to be sure of the frequency you were on...
Are the more upscale SB-102's and so on more accurate?

In general the HW-101 is a pleasure to operate.  This one has a tight CW
filter.  I'm guessing probably a 250 to 300 Hz filter ... because of the
slight ringing.  The receiver section is very sensitive on all bands.  For
example I've been able to reel them in on 15 meters with no problem.

Overall a nice Tcvr ... with the exception of the VFO.  It also came with a
scope, which I'm going to try out next weekend.
Thanks in advance for any help...
-tom  KE4RHH

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov