SB-650 and HW-101 -- request for help

Steve & Anne Ray sbralr at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Mon Nov 2 22:26:07 EST 1998

Welcome to the SB-650 club.   I have the same problem with mine.  I found
it was caused by the poor sockets Heath used on the SB-650.   I found the
solution was to find the offending chip and socket by gently pressing down
on the ICs one at a time till the display works again.  Yours problem
sounds like it is in the clock or the freq dividers driven by the clock.
The solution is to remove the offending IC, spray the socket with a good
brand of electronic cleaner then let it dry and reinstall the IC.   Be
prepared to do this a lot as I have had the display ICs and lock up a
single digit, also the input ICs to the counter circuit.   The only real
solution is to replace all the sockets with better sockets or periodically
use a spray cleaner on the sockets.   I use the spray approach and on my
SB-650 which I have had for 14 years.

The other problems I have not seen on my 22 year old HW-101.

I have passed this tip along beforeto HW-101, SB-100 series users, but for
those who missed it. Replace the 6EA8 at V1 with a 6CQ8, it will greatly
improve the audio drive and solve the problem of spur oscillations.
Remember also the HW-101 and it sister rigs were designed for a high
impedance mic like a D-104.   In fact of all the mics I've tried on my
HW-101 the D-104 is the best.

73,

Steve Ray    K4JPN   ex K1VKW   HW-101, HW-8,
SWL 30-40, Pixie II, NC 38S, OHR 100A 30 M and Heath Kit fan

----------
> From: Tom Bridgers <tarheel6 at EMAIL.MSN.COM>
> Subject: SB-650 and HW-101 -- request for help
> Date: Sunday, November 01, 1998 10:01 PM
>
> Hello to the Heath list members...
>
>     I've just purchased a HW-101 and SB-650.  Both are in excellent
> condition and I'm very pleased with them.  (By the way, my first Heath
rig
> was an AT-1 Transmitter and AC-1 antenna coupler combination that I
> purchased in 1954!)
>
>     I'm having a bit of trouble as follows and would appreciate any help
you
> could give me or direct me to:
>
> 1.  HW-101 ... Mode Switch ... tends to slip out of the LSB position into
> void, causing the receiver to go mute.  Is this a common ailment, I
wonder,
> and what is the cure?  (What I do when this happens is just twist the
knob
> slightly until the set comes alive again.   That works for maybe 10-15
> minutes and then it'll slip again.)
>
> 2.  HW-101 ... Main tuning ... tends to slip with use.  After an hour or
two
> of use, the frequency on the dial may indicate 3.9 mHz, but for example
> actually according to the SB-650 I'm 95 kHz lower at 3.805 mHz.  In other
> words, the dial mechanism seems to slip so much that it is unreliable.
But
> thanks to the SB-650, of course, I do know where I am.  Anyone know how
> might I clean this puppy up and get it cranking correctly?
>
> 3.  SB-650 ... freezes on the last frequency displayed after 2 hours of
use
> ...  Yes, I did have the counter on the HW-101, and yes it was hot.  But
I'm
> suspecting that the trouble may be with the heat sinking of the power
> transistor mounted on the back panel.  Have others encountered this
problem
> and found a solution?  (By the way, this is my first item of gear with a
> nixie tube display.  Kinda neat...)
>
> ---------------------
> This is the very first HW-101 I've operated, and was very reasonably
priced.
> However, I was surprised that it doesn't have a more accurate VFO
> (resolution to 1 kHz).  I guess the SB-650 was a necessity for a HW-101
> owner ... if you really wanted to be sure of the frequency you were on...
> Are the more upscale SB-102's and so on more accurate?
>
> In general the HW-101 is a pleasure to operate.  This one has a tight CW
> filter.  I'm guessing probably a 250 to 300 Hz filter ... because of the
> slight ringing.  The receiver section is very sensitive on all bands.
For

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH