Needed: 23-156 VFO Cap

Steve Harrison ko0u at OS.COM
Fri Nov 6 21:57:05 EST 1998

Howdy,

My Boss has the HR-1680 and HX-1681 twins and loves them still, after all
these years. But he says the VFO tuning capacitor in the transmitter
appears to be worn in that every so often, the VFO will jump frequency a
couple of kHz. So he's hoping I can find him another VFO main tuning
capacitor, Heath P/N 23-156 (believe it or not, when I asked him to get me
the P/N this afternoon, he just rattled it off from memory right there on
the spot...).

Any help?

Alternatively, has anyone fixed a problem of this sort on this vintage
radio by rebuilding the cap; i.e., retensioning the spring washers on the
shaft, etc.? He's also wondering if there's some conductive grease he can
use on the shaft bearings. I suggested that if all else fails, he can try
soldering a piece of flexible wire, wrapped loosely around the shaft a few
times, to the cap frame in an effort to create a solid ground connection. I
did this a few years ago to the tuning cap of my old Measurements Corp.
Model 59 GDO and it completely eliminated all erratic tuning problems clear
up into the top of the UHF band. The wire must bekept short to minimize
adding inductance, of course. But which is worse: having the dial read a
little off across the band, or not being able to use the instrument at all
any longer? ;o)

TNX, Steve Ko0U/1

P.S. I sure haven't seen many of these twins mentioned on the reflectors,
and *never* the transmitter; aren't there very many out there??

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH