Results from survey...

George Gleim george at QNQ.COM
Mon Nov 16 16:24:55 EST 1998

First and foremost, let me thanks ALL of you who gave me their thoughts
on a Heathkit comeback radio station.  Many of you agreed with my
station (SB-401/SB-301 and/or SB-102) and some of you were quite
creative and built a virtual Heathkit!

I agree with a few ideas that Heathkit could resurect the HW-9.

 For example, take the HW-9 with the WARC kit.  If Oak Hills Research
(www.ohr.com) can sell a KIT that does less for around $400 then perhaps
the HW-9 could find a market at around $495 ??

I'd add an external QRP Watt Meter, built in dummy load, and Antenna
Tuner.  MFJ has a QRP tuner/watt/SWR meter and can sell it for about $90
I think.  Add a higher quality case and meter movement, matching the
HW-9, and provide a built-in dummy load and price it at about $149.00 ??

And, I'd also have a matching A/C power supply / Speaker.  Perhaps
around $59 ??

With regard to the larger radios, The survey suggests that the SB-102
could once again find a market.  Several thought that it should have a
solid-state VFO like the once used in the SB-303 and should cover WARC
bands.  In addition, the SB-102 Station should have the SB-600 / HP-23
series power supply / speaker combination.

I personally think that a somewhat modernized SB-102 could find a market
priced around $700 and the power supply/speaker can have a price point
at around $200

With regard to selling the Station Console, External VFO, and Scope,
that might be a bit much.

There were, however, MANY of you who thought that the SB-200 should be
sold once again.  I agree!  The SB-200 was a FINE amp (and still is) and
can EASILY compete with low end amps from Ameritron.  With all due
respect to Ameritron, I would take a pair of 572B's over 3 or 4 811A's
any day of the week.  (I've owned BOTH the SB-200 and the Ameritron
AL811).  I, and many others agree, that the quality of the
case/materials on the SB-200 was superior.

There were also MANY of you who wanted the SA-2040 and/or SA-2060
Antenna Tuners back.  I also agree.  Imagine this:  An Antenna tuner
like the SA-2060 with a NICE Watt/SWR Meter built in enclosed in a
SB-200 style case.  That sounds like a real winner to me!  I'd buy one!
Again, with all due respect to Ameritron, I think that the SA-2040 and
SA-2060 Antenna Tuners were GREAT!  And, if they had a nice case like
that used in the SB-200.  WOW!

Some of you also like the HR-1680 receiver / HX-1681 transmitter
combination.  Again, updated with WARC and with regard to the
transmitter, give it a solid-state amp.  Perhaps.  I would add that the
trasnmitter power could be reduced to around 50 watts to reduce the
power supply requirements and cost of the transmitter.  And, make the
HS-1661 house the power supply.  The HR-1680 is actually a nice
receiver!  Comments here were to add an additional crystal filter for
CW, say around 500hz and increase the bandspread.  And, add support for
WARC.  Althought he HX-1681 transmitter is CW only, that didn't phase
most of you.  CW is a lost art these days and it seems that many of you
rather enjoy this simple form of communication.

Anyway, there you have it.  Oh, Yes, MANY of you have NO PROBLEM with
tubes.  Amen!  20 years from now I believe that you will STILL be able
to find 6146's and 12AU7A's and 6AU6's.  And, I expect that there is NO
WAY you will find some of the custom IC's used in the modern rigs of
today!  I suspect that a re-manufactured SB-102 could have a longer life
span than anything from Japan today!

By the way, there was some interest in reproducing circuit boards.  In
speaking with an lawyer, an EXACT reproduction of the circuit board is
indeed a violation of copywrite laws.  However, you could make changes
to the component placement and/or changes to the actual 'artwork' and
sell it within the law.  An interesting thought.  There have been times
that I wish I had the ability to 'rebuild' a circuit board using moden
components.  Perhaps many of you have seen boards that were build by
someone with poor soldering skills?  Boards with burns and lifted
traces...

Well, thanks again for your thoughts.  Anyone out there with some
venture capital????

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH