My DX-20

Harry Bump bump-km3d at REDROSE.NET
Thu Nov 19 21:44:02 EST 1998

Guys,

Thanks for your comments about the DX-20.  Here's a little better
detail.  My
meter measures AC to 500v; blew the fuse trying to measure the
transformer
output voltage so I can guess that it's at least high enough.  The DC
voltage
measured at the output of the power supply filter is
only 325 volts; I don't quite understand that (it's supposed to be at
least
500vdc).  The plate meter does dip; but only to about 100ma (assuming
the
1ma meter shunt is correct).  The power meter
shows about five watts of RF out.... if I advance the loading capacitor
even
just a little; the power out shears to zero.  The oscillator 'seems' to
be ok;
without the amplifier powered up it sounds a bit raspy, but clean when
the amp
powered.  I kinda remember that my novice rig back in the '60s worked
like that
normally. The oscillator is set up for crystal operation, with the rf
choke in the circuit.

I think maybe I'll get another 6DQ6A and see what happens when I swap
it out.  Looked at Dahl replacement transformers; it MAY be worth the
$85 for
the nostalgia and sentiment - don't plan on trying to make the project
'dollar
reasonable'..... the transformer in there may be totally wrong, but have
no way
to measure what's going on with it.    -sounds like a project that could
sit on
the bench for awhile.

73,  Harry, KM3D

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov