A not so gentle reminder - HV is unforgiving

Domenic M. Mallozzi DMallozzi at AOL.COM
Fri Nov 27 10:34:00 EST 1998

<<      HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV >>

First, Dave I'm glad you are Ok.

I have unfortunately witnessed some accident on high voltage high power
equipment over the years (10KW, 20 KV amps).

In addition to the normal safety procedures always assume (there's that word)
that the internal safety equipment is defective ( open bleeder resistors, drop
bars with burnt out ground connections, etc.).

I spent 10 years doing high voltage work and got tagged twice. It is not fun
and causes more than a few thoughts to go through your head.

For the new guys on the list who did not grow up with tubes, I recommend a
good elmer.  Also if you are afraid of high voltage don't work on it, farm it
out to someone who knows what they are doing.

One other thing when working on real large HV stuff do not lunge at falling
tools, etc. When you lunge you don't think. If you drop a tube, screwdriver,
tuning wand, etc.   don't lunge at it let it fall, break and pay the money to
replace it later. Its definitely cheaper to replace it than a ambulance ride
and a stay in the hospital.

A Happy holiday season to everyone on the list and your families

Dom
N1DM

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov