FS: Greenpiece(s)

Terry Perdue terryp at HALCYON.COM
Wed Oct 7 16:29:34 EDT 1998

Several months ago, I completely rebuilt an AR-3 and DX-60, and described the experience and results here. I had expected to put them on the air someday, but it's becoming obvious that that's too far down the priority list to be likely to happen. So... I've decided to offer them, and their accessories - the HG-10 and QF-1, for sale.

DX-60:

Mint condition front panel and cabinet, original knobs, and expertly rebuilt. The original harness had to be tossed, so I made an exact replacement -same wire colors and gauges, hand-laced with waxed lacing cord (military style), and it fit perfectly. Before beginning reassembly, I polished up the chassis with SOS, and used paste wax to protect it - it looks great. I also used new parts - disc caps, electrolytics, resistors, etc, wherever possible. You'll be really proud of this one.

AR-3:

The copper-plated chassis was in very nice condition as I received it, but I polished it up with SOS too - it looks like new. I also recapped this one with fresh cans from Antique Electronic Supply, and cleaned up all original parts before rebuilding. I replaced all the sockets with new ones (AES had the phenolic miniature type), and replaced most of the disc caps. I even found an unused power transformer for an AR-2, so replaced it too. The case is in better condition than any I've seen at hamfests. I went through a complete alignment with lab instruments. The only problem is that at high volume with the BFO on, the radio sometimes motorboats - I didn't find an easy cure for this.

QF-1:

I bought this from the same guy that had the AR-3, and there was no reason to rebuild it. It's a 10 inside and out - not even a scratch, and it works perfectly.

HG-10:

I found this at a hamfest. It was expertly built, and the builder must have sprayed the sheet metal parts with Krylon before building, because the metal is just like it came out of the box new. VERY NICE wiring job. The only problem with this unit is that the dial drum is cracked in a few places - still holding together though. BUT, a friend sent me a NEW dial drum, in perfect shape, which I will include. And, the knobs are not original, but are very nice (Kurz-Kasch?) black ones with metal inserts.

This complete station; looks good and works good, and I prefer to sell it as a package. I can even furnish a number of spare tubes. To make it even more complete, I'll throw in a Spi-Ro AS-2 all band antenna (160-10M) - new & unused, and an AEA AT-300 antenna tuner that I won't be needing. Total price: $375 plus shipping. ($275 without antenna & tuner.) Pretty cheap for a Time Machine!