Off subject, but we all hate SPAM. How I fight it

Multi-Volti Devices multi-volti at SOFTHOUSE.COM
Sat Oct 24 08:13:20 EDT 1998

Off subject, but I'm sure most here can share feelings about SPAM email (or
whatever it's called in e-mail form).

I have gotten fed up enough receiving get rich quick scams, long distance
telephone rate stuff and more offensive items that I began taking action,
and wanted to share my approach. As subscribers to lists and users of
newsgroups, others out there may want to utilize this technique.

Many spammers forge the return address. If you complain  to the ISP of the
apparent source of the offending email, they usually say it's a forged
account, if it claims it's from a major ISP (AOL, AT&T, hotmail, etc).

To find the real source ISP, look in your email software's File pulldown
menu. In IE 4.0 there is a Properties command. There is something simliar in
Netscape 4.05. Check if you have earlier versions. Then click on Details or
the equivalent.

You will see the DNS numbers, and other headers similar to the format used
in packet radio. Often, there will be an ISP name. If it is a legitimate ISP
(and not an ISP that specifically offers 'secret' or 'stealth' email
broadcast services), they usually do not allow spamming. Go to the home page
for the ISP and look for either a contact email address or an acceptable use
policy. Or, if you don't want to spend much time on it, I just automatically
forward teh offending message to an abuse@(whatever the real ISP is) or
postmaster@(whatever the real ISP is).

While reading the annoying message you need to press Forward. Cut and Paste
won't carry the important headers for them to trace.

I forward the message to the real ISP and the ISP whose account is being
forged. Even if it isn't their account, they often will take legal action
because their reputation is slandered by forged spam.

I almost always get a form letter back acknoledging they are investigation
it, or denying it is their account user, but I'll guess I've had about a 10%
rate of replies from the ISP's telling me they have terminated the account
of the offending user.

If you are dealing with spam from people offering you 'stealth' email
services, good luck. The ISP probably couldn't care less about ethics.
You may end up with more vengeful SPAM. Legitimate ISP's, especially those
who state in their Acceptable Use Policy they don't tolerate it, will do
something about it if they can.

Sorry for droning so long about this, but for those of you who find it
helpful, or at least therapeutic, you're welcome.

Murray

I usually don't bother complaining to ISP's in obscure countries, on the
assumption they aren't as stringent as the US.

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH