Ebay Furor - Watch out for the Sharks

Guy G. Giacopuzzi DDS ggg3dds at JS-NET.COM
Tue Oct 27 09:30:27 EST 1998

Will wrote:

> >Subject: Ebay Furor - Watch out for the Sharks
>
> >Further compounded by the
> >fact that several people wanted the same items.  Many price ranges were
> >simply outrageously low.  Obviously there are folks on this reflector
> >who are trying to squeeze the blood out of a turnip when it comes to
> >buying Collins equipment or thought that here was a real opportunity to
> >perhaps pick up a load of great stuff at low prices from a guy who
> >freely admits that he is rusty on Collins prices!   Those who did not
> >low-ball the prices know who you are but as a case in point, I had a
> >weighted average of about
> >$ 600 on the loaded KWM-2A that was posted.  It doesn't take a rocket
> >scientist to figure out that this particular unit may be worth twice
> >what was offered as a fair price!    Another item was a CCA VG-EXC
> >312B-5 who some were trying to buy at $ 200 to $ 250!  Now it has been
> >stated that perhaps I abused the good will of those who responded with
> >price ranges, but what was this knowledge worth, when you consider that
> >even though my Collins price gauge was out of date, it was an insult to
> >my intelligence when a couple of respondents said that a 312B5 was only
> >worth $ 200-250?  Of course, many of the respondents made low ball
> >offers so we made the decision to let the market set the price and there
> >is no fairer way to do this than in an auction.
>
> Funny, this doesn't surprise me....I had a similar experience, though not on
> this reflector. I was planning on selling some of my Collins gear and was
> making inquiries as to what it might fairly bring.  I got a couple of honest
> answers and several more that were very obviously self serving low-balls.  I
> was given a figure of $250 for a cherry 312B5 and even worse $700 for a very
> nice 62S1 and $1500 for a KWS1 and two(2) 75A4s(one with a 4 to 1 vernier).
> Needless to say the individual that gave me those numbers won't know if I
> sell the gear until after the fact.
> I don't think "sharks" fairly describes it.
>
> As a result of that experience and this string of posts, if I do go through
> with the decision to sell some of my gear, I will probably offer it for sale
> at a "firm price" here and then anything that isn't sold, I will put on
> Ebay.
>
> I think it would be a shame for everyone if banning Ebay announcement posts
> is done on this reflector just because of the bruised egos of a few that saw
> a chance to get some gear at bargain basement prices.
>
> I don't search Ebay all that often, and  I have seen how nice it is to have
> what is available on Ebay distributed.  I belong to a national car
> collectors group who have a reflector similar to this one(actually they have
> two--one for technical and a separate one for social, for sale, wanted,
> etc.) and it is very nice to receive an email heads up on what is being
> offered for sale in other forums including Ebay.
>
> Just my own opinion.

> [...]
concept that's so popular on ebay.  Let's face it, some things have
gotten way out of line on ebay...I have an average KWM2A with a PM2 and
CC1 case I picked up just a few years ago for about $250.  Certainly,
some items fetch higher prices, but some sellers appear to be sharks
too.  I generally feel ebay is for folks who are not collectors that are
simply trying to unload the rigs, but it's not for us.  If you want to
sell something, pick a price, advertise for it; if you get it great, if
not, you know you're too high.  My philosophy is you have a right to a
profit, but not a killing....If you're here to make a killing, you're in
the wrong place--we're here as friends with mutual interests, not
businessmen...

ggg

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov