Re-alignment of SB-401

Edward B Richards k6uuz at JUNO.COM
Wed Oct 28 11:56:25 EST 1998

Hi, all;

I hope this isn't old news for everyone. I just discovered it the hard
way. In restoring a SB-401 I performed the alignment according to the
book and when I finished I found the book called for installing some
parts that were already installed by the original builder. The book does
not mention removing these parts before alignment as they assume you are
building it for the first time and they simply don't call for their
installation until after the alignment procedure. If you do not remove
(disconnect ) these parts you will be transmitting high power RF during
the alignment procedure, I suggest adding the following note to  the top
of page 90 where ALIGNMENT starts:

1. Remove the top and back shield covers for the PA compartment.

2. On top of chassis ( inside PA compartment ) remove the lead from
feedthrough capacitor Q to lug 2 of coil TB.

3. On bottom of chassis, remove the 680 ohm resistor from lug 3 of TB-P
to the center of the bare wire connecting lugs 3 of the tube sockets
V-10 and V-11 together.

The book will call for (re)installation of these parts on page 94 after
the alignment procedure.

I hope this helps someone. Regards,  Ed Richards,  K6UUZ
<k6uuz at juno.com>

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH