2036. 2036A

Domenic M. Mallozzi DMallozzi at AOL.COM
Sat Oct 31 13:33:20 EST 1998

<< HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV >>

Hi folks

a little bit of lore about the 2036 recall and why some where not involved. A
local ham who was the chief engineer for a local Providence,RI TV station,
built one and noted the spur problem. He had access to the stations
transmitter test equipment (spectrum analyzer, 475 MHz scope, etc) so he
proceeded to redesign the radio and clean it up. The innards were not even
close to the original. He used it for years, he than moved to Albany and is
now no longer in the FCC database.

He got the recall notice and obviously round canned it.

The local tv station crews were quite active hams who were always modifing
things. A friend's dad was the transmitter engineer at WJAR TV in Providence.
I remember my friend bought and assembled a HR10B. His dad listened to it and
decided it needed some help. It ended up with with only the original front
panel. New VFO, mechanical filters (yes more than one), IF noise blanker, etc.
It was hard to believe how well it worked.

I know to the collector these are heart wrenching stories, but many hams
modified up radios when I started 25 years ago. My HW101 had some minor mods.
And also made some minor changes to my 2021 walkie ( it needed them to work
correctly).

Regards all,

Dom
N1DM