CONVERSION OF HG-10, DX-60B

Ray Mack mack at MAILS.IMED.COM
Fri Sep 4 17:45:31 EDT 1998

Dave:
        We don't shoot folks for such thoughts, but we *are* looking for a
horse, a tall tree and a short rope :<)

        I have a suggestion.  Like you I am planning on making major
modifications to a Green box.  I am converting a SB101 from 80-10 coverage to
cover 160,30, 17, 12, and 6 meters.  I specifically chose a unit that is one
step above a parts unit since it will have extensive mods.  If you likewise find
a couple of refugees from the circular file, you might have fewer pangs of
regret later.

        Of the 2 projects, the HG10 makes the most sense.  It should be possible
to use a lower voltage regulated supply and make adapters that will plug into
the tube sockets to use either bipolars or sand state Field Effect Triodes's in
place of the hollow state field effect triodes.  That way the experiment can be
reversed fairly easily.

        The transmitter is more problematic due to the inability to easily
change the plate voltage for the low level stuff.  I would certainly be tempted
to use some of the low wattage but high voltage HEXFET or Motorola TMOS FETs to
replace the tubes.  You want the low wattage ones since they have much less
input capacitance.

        Keep us posted on your progress.

Ray Mack
WD5IFS