CONVERSION OF HG-10, DX-60B

john johnmb at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Sep 4 19:23:36 EDT 1998

At 04:03 PM 9/4/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Don't shoot me but I'd like to convert my HG-10 and DX-60B to solid state
>units.

Hmmm... we wont shoot you, but you didnt say anything about conversion
attempts!
:-)

Sooo many attempts at converting (and "improving") radios result in the hacked
up hulks we all see at hamfests that it's hard not to dissuade someone from
attempting this.

Some questions:

Why would you do this?  Tubes are cheap, the radio will likely never work
as well as originally designed and implemented even if the solid stating is
successful, and another older rig will hit the bonepile.   I'm not at all
trying to
quash your ham spirit (what keeps me interested in Heath and boatanchors
in general IS the warm soldering iron and the opportunity to work on stuff)
but the odds are you'll be happier, learn more, and end up with a better radio
if you were to homebrew a station rather than attempt to "solid state" that
set of gear.

An analogy would be... if presented with a 30's automobile... would it be
a "better" automobile if the driveline was yanked out and a modern one
reinstalled... or would part of the essence of what made it desirable in the
first place be lost in the "improvement".  Granted, on the odd chance that
the surgery was successful , the car may stop, start and accelerate
in a more modern fashion...but would it be a "better" 30's car?

The decision is certainly yours, but I'd encourage you to appreciate the
gear for what it is, and perhaps scratch build some solid state gear,
of your own..... I think in the long run you'd be happier (and more
successful!)

Respectfully,
/John

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov