UPDATE---Antique QSLs

Edward Swynar gswynar at DURHAM.NET
Tue Sep 8 16:42:29 EDT 1998

I spoke to my friend Ray at length on the phone to-day...

Firstly, he is *overwhelmed* by all of the interest expressed in his
QSLs---he also advised that he conducted cursory "inventory" on the cards,
with the following results:

-Total quantity is closer to *185*, rather than 100 (as earlier reported);
-30 to 35 are from Canadian Hams;
-Some of the cards are from *1921*, as well as 1922 & 1923;
-There is at least one QSL from *California*;
-At least one QSL is from the *Republic of Panama*.

Ray feels that the Ontarian who earned these cards may very well have
achieved W.A.S., judging by what he's seen so far. He is in the process of
entering all of the pertinent info, per QSL, onto a disc using EXCEL---once
entered, he'll be able to retrieve specific cards based upon callsign, last
name, and QTH.

Ray is a recent retiree, is living on a fixed income. I believe he'd like
to "...spread the QSLs around" a bit, rather than selling them off all in
one package (that's up to him, of course, as they ARE his property, & not
mine). One point of interest: by his entering the QSLs on a database,
individuals who, say, had a grandfather licensed immediately after WW1,
could readily check & see if that person's original card might be
available. Likewise, an existing Ham Club could seek out period QSLs from
predecessors in the same city as that of the Club's...

I think once Ray has the database completed---with his permission---I shall
publish his name, address, and telephone number here on this Reflector.
Interested parties may then contact him *directly*, rather than tie up
space & time in this medium. I'm just happy to introduce Ray to this part
of the world of cyberspace, & to possibly connect him with folks who have
an active interest in this sort of thing...

Many thanks for your kind indulgence...

73, de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov