Stuph

Fred Finster Fred_Finster at EL.NEC.COM
Wed Sep 9 18:07:44 EDT 1998

     Sean,

     Buy the Blue Sky Engineering Frequency counter
     It uses a PIC chip and measures the frequency and displays on a 4
     digit LCD.  It has the ability to subtract or add an offset.  The HW-8
     uses 8.8Mhz VFO.   Using the up and down buttons on on the Blue Sky
     DDC,  I changed it from reading a frequency of 8.8xx to 7.000.  Then
     put it in the "subtract" mode.   Now when I turned the dial the DCC
     value matched the analog dial.  There is 5 bit binary input to select
     1 of 31 frequency settings.  An eeprom saves this frequency setup and
     offset information.  It also includes a 24 hour clock, you can switch
     between Clock and Frequency Counter.  I have also used this as
     straight Frequency Counter for High Frequency RF work 400Khz-32Mhz.
     I also interfaced it to a SWAN 260.

     I used the Digital Clock/Counter with a HW-8 VFO and was able to track
     the output frequency from 7.000 to 7.250 with in a 100hz as compared
     by a TS-820S receiver with its digital display.
     This made the HW-8 a pleasure to use because you can adjust and
     readjust the VFO to the exact frequency you want and you can notice if
     there is any drift.  $35   They are comming out with a aluminum case
     for this in the next month.  Just the web site in a month.

     http://www.fix.net/~jparker/blusky/ccd.htm

     an alternative is the Allmost All Digital Electronics Frequency
     Counter.  It has a case, a back  light, and many other good features.
     Check out all the information on the World Wide Web.   If someone else
     on this HEATH list has used the DFD1 or DFD3 with a HeathKit, I would
     be interested in hearing your experiences.

     http://www.aade.com

     Good luck,

     Fred Finster  WB7ODY