AR2 tubes (was AR3 tubes)

Deane D McIntyre dmcintyr at UCALGARY.CA
Fri Apr 2 12:07:11 EST 1999

Richard Post wrote:

> Hi Karl,
>
> I remember the tube complement from when I built it as a kid.  5Y3, 12V6,
> and the rest were the all-American 5 equivalents, 12AV6, 12BE6, 12BA6.
> Just about every plastic radio of the 1950s has these three in it.   I
> don't have a tube manual handy so cannot tell if the 12A6 will sub for the
> 12V6.

> >Hi, can any one tell me the tube line up in AR3?  I just got one, works OK,
> >but one tube is weak (12be6) one of few I dint have, there is a 12A6 in it
> >and I seem to remember a 12V6, and there is one that has no marking, looks
> >like a 6c4 triode, but must be 12vdc of course. would like tom test it but
> >what is it? (next to audio output tube).
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Karl

The 12A6 will work reasonably well as a sub for a 12V6 but is not a
close match.

I have a AR2 which I brought at a flea market many years ago that
came with a 12A6 tube used as the audio output. I don't have a
schematic and after reading this I was wondering if the 12V6 is
the proper tube? Did not suspect anything wrong before as the 12A6
tube as available for pennies as surplus when the AR2 was offered
and Heath was still using surplus tubes at that time, up to the
md 50's.

73, Deane D McIntyre VE6BPO
dmcintyr at ucalgary.ca

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov