Manual Copyrights

Don bjmcpher at USIT.NET
Thu Apr 22 00:57:04 EDT 1999

Barry A. Watzman wrote:

> It turns out that some of the people who are reproducing manuals [without permission] are also removing the copyright notices that were present in the originals from the reproduced manuals.

How come Heath doesnt just put all their old manuals in the public
domain? I figure they cant be making enough revenue from selling some
photocopies of manuals to be of much interest to them. If the manual
sales are that important, then I guess the educational bussiness isnt
going as well as we think it is.

Has anyone tried to contact a person of authority in the company to
see if some type of relief can be granted to cover the situation for
people who arent trying to steal thier thunder and get rich selling
manuals? Someone else posted that Heath may not give a red about the
manuals. If that turns out to be the case, we could end these periodic
copyright discussions. Maybe some of the list members that still work
there could find out at the next staff meeting.

Has heath actually filed any copyright lawsuits? If so, who was the
defendant, and what was the outcome?

So far, I managed to refrain from this discussion, but I finally
succumbed to my curiosity about why this is even an issue.  :)

Don

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH