Turning Platinum To Brass

Harvey A. Kader optom at IBM.NET
Tue Apr 27 04:45:51 EDT 1999

My purpose, anyway, for collecting is both the hunt as well as

perserving history. The monetary issue is secondary. Museums create

collections for the same reason - to educate and preserve history.

I enjoy the hunt for collector's items, and I like learning the

history of what I find. When a collectable is modified, for whatever

reason, it's original history is changed forever, and its past is

rewritten. This applies to anything - electronics, cameras, automobiles,

etc. Alot of our rich history is, unfortunately, thrown out into the

garbage as people get tired of items. As collectors, and as historians,

to preserve the past and learn from it, means not to change it or
destroy it.

One comment about passion. Using emotion in writing is human. As long as

the writing is kept civil and decent, then I believe that is perfectly

acceptable. Not all writing, whether in print or on the internet, can or

should be sterile.

I also think, that as a hobbyist, it is important to lighten up about

other people's beliefs. Everbody is entitled to an opinion and people

should not act as both judge and jury in commenting on these opinions.
It is good to

have strong feelings about something, but let's keep things in
perspective - there

is more to life than hobbies.

Anyway, I will get off my soapbox. These are just my ideas.

Cheers!

Harvey A. Kader - http://www.angelfire.com/on/vacuumtubes

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov