Heath electrolytic problem

Richard Post post at OUVAXA.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Tue Apr 27 18:28:41 EDT 1999

Heath often put two electrolytics in series for higher voltage supplies
with no balancing resistors.  Had a Heath EUW ??  hi-volt variable power
supply.  Used a variac to up the voltage slowly.  One of the two
electrolytics got HOT.  I unplugged it quickly.  It turns out that the hot
electrolytic was the good one.  The other one in series had some initial
leakage keeping its voltage down and the good one was subjected to a lot
more voltage than it was designed for.   Was able to save both caps.  I now
carefully reform EACH electrolytic of a series pair prior to applying power
to the entire unit.  I also measure the center point of the pair to verify
that they are sharing the load.  Adding balancing resistors is a good idea.
And what do I use to reform the caps?  A Heath PS-4 hi-volt variable power
supply of course.  What else would a Heath user use.

Rich

>Two possibilities for "smoking" electrolytics; one is reverse polarity;
>did they get put in properly?  The other is a shorted rectifier, which
>puts AC on the cap and does the same thing.  Check them diodes, too!
>
>Ed Mosher
>WA8ZVO at JUNO.COM         Formerly  "One of the Hams at Heath"
>
> **The most valuable "things" in our lives are not things! **

      Boatanchor Pix website - KB8TAD
  http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~postr/bapix/
           mailto:postr at ohiou.edu
visit the Museum of Radio and Technology website
   http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~postr/MRT/

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH